Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone see the point in these?
They are not photos but painting but I ask, why would someone with such obvious talent waste so much time when the click of a shutter would produce the same result?

http://twistedsifter.com/2017/01/hyperre...o-campos/?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I guess handmade goods are far more expensive...

true, handmade is more expensive

It's very clever work. I don't know why someone would choose to do such work, but it certainly deserves credit for the craftsmanship and the dedication. I note that most of the pictures take into account the idea of transparencies, and how they can affect the retina in different ways, therefore leading to special techniques in rendering these effects of different shininesses and textures.
I think they are wonderful to behold. They are in straight line the heirs of still lives from the past.

It's incredibly clever technique but it's not in my opinion, "fine art", it is commercial art. However detailed and accurate a representation it is, it tells us nothing about the subject matter that a camera could not do. Fine are goes beyond the superficial. An instance of this is the bowl of fruit balancing precariously on the edge of the table in Carravaggio's "Supper at Emmas" seems to need only the slightest nudge to send it toppling and spilling its contents onto the floor below. And that floor is no longer the floor in the picture; but the actual floor in the real world, in our own space.

Caravaggio breaks down the traditional barrier between what is real and what is painted and transforms a scene that happened in the past into something that is happening now, before our very eyes:

[Image: N-0172-00-000085-WZ-PYR.tif&CNT=1&WID=65...5&CVT=jpeg]

[Image: Supper-at-Emmaus-(detail).jpg]

Those hyper realistic images could not hang in a gallerrty simply because they would tell us nothing about the subject matter. They would be admired for their technique only. Hang photographs in their place and they would be totally meaningless,

[MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION], please join in the discussion.

I can see your viewpoint, Londoner, but I think the paintings are spectacular documentations. There is great skill in their portrayal of the ordinary. Reference Warhol and his soup can painting. No, they are not anything near Caravaggio, but they do have something to say as modern still lifes. They also remind us of the beauty in some quite ordinary things.
I bid NO Trump!

[MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION] I agree with you. While I can respect perfecting different techniques to get that hyper realism, at least for me, it lacks any real emotion or statement. It doesn't evoke anything in me. It doesnt seem to be adding anything to the conversation that pop art had when using the images of brands and products either. It's more of a technical exercise, and I personally don't think realism is what makes a painting good or valuable, but then again most of my favorites are the kinds of paintings people stand in front of and think about how they could do it themselves.

My honest opinion is that these images are as dull as paintings as they'd be as photographs.

Well one thing for sure, I wish I could paint like that. I get what you're saying though, I mean if it looks like a photograph what else can you say about the painting.

I think with that skill then I would think that painting something unusual or unreal but with that sort of accuracy would be something I would want to do...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:Well one thing for sure, I wish I could paint like that. I get what you're saying though, I mean if it looks like a photograph what else can you say about the painting.

I think with that skill then I would think that painting something unusual or unreal but with that sort of accuracy would be something I would want to do...

However good or bad you might be as a painter I would bet that whatever you painted would actually "say" more about what you were painting than any photograpgh would.

LONDONER Wrote:However good or bad you might be as a painter I would bet that whatever you painted would actually "say" more about what you were painting than any photograpgh would.

Honestly if I were to do anything I would probably get colored pencils. Might pick up a pack when I get to go shopping again at the end of the month, been putting it off. Me and pain, well used to get along better, but now I get frustrated with myself because I can't seem to wait for anything to dry or can't get the colors to mix, or get too much oil in the pain and it messes with the colors...turns into a fucking mess and I get pissed...

You would think photoshop would be my place but it isn't... I just don't have the level of control I want. Eh I don't know. I would like to learn to enjoy that again but I don't know what happened but I used to draw a bit more and always enjoy drawing landscapes and whatnot but never really gained much skill there.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!