Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitness & exercise
Jay Wrote:Very important. I do my best to be in top condition for my health and also for my upcoming surgeries. There's a little (healthy) pressure from people around me too. Everyone expects me to be fit. The pressure doesn't bother me as I do love working out and staying healthy.

Beside taking care of my dietary, I go to gym religiously. It's my second home. For my cardio, I do high intensity interval training. I run. I do wall climbing. Stairs climbing from lobby to 27th floor several reps. I dance.

Several of gym friends invited me to join Muay Thai but I declined. It's not possible due to my injured leg.

Hey Jay! good to see you...I didn't know you were back. Glad to hear you are still going strong with your fitness regimen!!!!!!

Exercise is very much a big part of my life. I like to do cardio more so than lifting weights and so you'll usually find me jogging circuits or swimming laps, about 4 to 5 times a week. I do go to the gym but I prefer working out outside in the natural environment if possible. Health benefits aside, I find that fitness and the process of exercising help give my mind peace and my brain works more quickly and I feel more awake.

Jay Wrote:Very important. I do my best to be in top condition for my health and also for my upcoming surgeries. There's a little (healthy) pressure from people around me too. Everyone expects me to be fit. The pressure doesn't bother me as I do love working out and staying healthy.

Beside taking care of my dietary, I go to gym religiously. It's my second home. For my cardio, I do high intensity interval training. I run. I do wall climbing. Stairs climbing from lobby to 27th floor several reps. I dance.

Several of gym friends invited me to join Muay Thai but I declined. It's not possible due to my injured leg.

welcome back jay!

I run every morning. My day is off if I miss a run, no off days. Helps me focus, clear my head, and reduces stress.

I'm very strict with my diet. No processed sugar, no red meat, mainly veggies. Water, lots of water.

I struggled with depression in high school, but committed to a healthier me, focused on my diet and exercise. I think it saved my life.

I am a bad vegetarian... I'm afraid my sort likes the good stuff. I gave up (not a wish, just happened) dancing a few years ago when my mother died, and haven't gone back to it yet. It's the only kind of sport I can really get into, so I'm rather unfit, and wish I could get my act together to be fitter. It may happen yet, but who knows?
Don't follow my example.
I think it's also helpful to have sex regularly to keep in shape and mentally well, so if you can, do it. But not at any cost to your health, mental or otherwise.

East Wrote:Hey Jay! good to see you...I didn't know you were back. Glad to hear you are still going strong with your fitness regimen!!!!!!

trywait Wrote:welcome back jay!

Hi East and trywait, thanks! I'm not sure if I'm going to be fully active but I'll try to contribute as much as possible.

Few weeks ago I was approached by a motivational speaker who happens to train in the same gym. He asked if I'm interested to be a motivational speaker and help obese people to lose weight. He's willing to mentor me.

I told him that I don't have fitness certificates and I'm not a certified trainer. He knows that but according to him I have something that the others don't have; experience. My experience makes things easy for me to understand what most obese people are going through; physically and mentally. He said I'm marketable in Malaysia as I'm a rare case (my weight loss history) in South East Asia.

For a start, I'm supposed to attend one of his classes and introduce myself to his people. I'm supposed to do a presentation on my history etc.

But things are still on early stage.

I doubt I could do strict vegetarian or vegan. I eat a (one) portion of meat nearly every day - well on those days I eat. And that is a small portion, like a single chicken thigh or a single chicken leg.

Of course the last two days have been all about vegetarian re-fried beans, rice and cheese burritos. So much for the meat every day that I eat 'theory'... But I guess nearly meets the objective.

Back when I hunted I ate a lot more meat. I like game meat, it just tastes better to me than farm raised steer.

Its rakey season. I'm going out more and more often to rakey up the leaves... by the end of the month every other day I will be doing my rakey for a few months.... plenty of exercise in keeping the driveway clean....

[Image: picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=5924]

And that is just at the gate - there is about two truck lengths to go to hit the street, then there are patios and pathways.... And might as well do something about the leaves on the lawns and the roofs....

Trees, gotta love them.... or go insane which ever is easiest.

mind this was midsummer, if yo look down the driveway a wee bit you will see that there is a couple days of leaves from the oaktrees. The oak trees of Mirkwood are constantly raining down leaves year round - and they never lose all of there leaves, even in what passes for the dead of winter the oaks will have a few green leaves and wicked smiling promising to drop more leaves as soon as I finish my rakey.

i just do brisk walking and running

I spent my 30s getting fatter and fatter. I was 70 pounds overweight at the peak. Last January I finally got disgusted with myself after flopping around on the dermatologist's table under a bright light during a skin exam. Never again! At that point I was 211 and I lost 50 by July-August.

My family doctor told me a few years before that, after seeing blood-work results from a physical, that I was headed for a heart attack and/or stroke at some point. Not even hearing that snapped me out of it. I think I just told myself that I still had time, and would get around to it. I'd be ok in the meantime. Ugh.

When I started, I read as much as I could about fitness and what the latest consensus was on What Works. I was doing mainly the paleo diet (slight modifications) and to a large extent I'm still using it. I also joined a gym and began lifting a few months into the journey since muscle burns fat--and who wouldn't like some muscle too? And, of course, regular cardio.

I have never been in the shape I'm in now and I'm still stunned to see abs coming forth. I never had that even when I was younger! Change like that is the slowest thing in the world (impatience) but it DOES happen if you can find the motivation to stay consistent and eat right. And I haven't been perfect. I even had somewhat of a regression in Sep-Oct but I kicked it in the teeth and rescued my motivation. And I don't starve myself... ever. I'm trying to develop a healthier relationship to food because what I was doing before... *shudder*

Anyway, I had some clothes I'd been saving for at least 7-8 years because I kept thinking I would one day be able to fit in them again. "I'll get it all back!" My partner wanted to throw them out a few times. I win Smile

It's now been ten months and I'm looking forward to the 1-year point of this journey. I had a physical a few months ago and everything was great on the blood-work.

I like seeing out-of-shape people come into the gym, especially the ones that you can tell are on a mission. It reminds me of myself and I cheer them on in my head every time Smile

Cheerleader2

^ wow. Well done. I realized a year and a bit ago that I needed to get my weight back under control and make some fundamental changes in my diet....not just to get thinner, but to get healthier. I have an intake target of 1600 calories per day and track my nutrition and exercise using caloriecount.com. I really am never hungry....lots of salads and vegetables fill me right up on most days.

I had the goal of losing 1 pound per week and since we don't have a gym out here in the country and I have some issues with arthritis....I have been exercising on a recumbent bicycle which has made huge improvements in respiration, heart rate and stamina. I am currently at a plateau after losing the majority of weight I had targeted, but once I finish with some cautionary medical testing for transient ischemic attacks....I plan on jumping back into the aerobic exercise again to see if I can lose the last 20 pounds I don't feel like lugging around any more.

I also have been enjoying shopping in my own closet and have found some beautiful shirts, jackets and pants to wear again...it makes me wish I hadn't given away some of my favourite Tommy Bahama shirts......