Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gays caused the tropical storm nearing New Orleans
Quote:but it's really not given that these people don't think with the part of the brain that deals with reason and can easily switch tracks

Or is it just fact that you have to have a brain and your own mind to be able to change it?

Don't we get blamed for every natural disaster that the US is slightly affected by/cares about?Rolleyes

Unfortunately it's no longer a tropical storm, it's a full blown hurricane now from what i've heard.:frown:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

There have been a lot of studies that show neurochemistry causes the brain to accept or ignore facts they normally wouldn't when it comes to religion & politics (so they can be reasonable about anything else but one or both topics will throw reason out the window) and how religious practices even cause parts of the brain to shrink. So in a way many devout believers really are a little crazy and you can't reason with them anymore than you can reason with a schizophrenic and for very similar reasons (at least not once their religion is tapped).

Look like I'll be battening down for flash flood conditions. Not that I'm worried, my place can handle 40-50 MPH winds and 8-12 inches of rain no problem, no flooding. I've got supplies for a week - probably have a lot of trees down and no way to town for a few days. Oh well, worst case will be I lose internet and TV during the worst of it since those are satellite here. I've cot DvDs and console games to keep me entertained Smile

Be careful through it Blue!

I'll be fine, the eye wall will pass about 150 miles east of me, so I'll see lots of rain, but nothing over about 40mph winds. Power might be out for a few hours to a day, but that will be the worst of it for me. And I will probably loose TV and internet due to heavy cloud cover.

i feel bad for those mixed up in the weather.

Let us know, Blue!

Ugh, that darned thin is slowly moving further west, now the eye could cross my home, or worse the eastern wall could. I'll be fine no matter what it does, but if the eye or eastern wall hits me, I'll be offline a lot longer than if it doesn't. 12-24 hours vs 2-3 days.

As for the rest. My house was designed to handle an f2 tornado so I'm not worried there. I have a generator if my wind and solar system is not enough or is damaged. The propane I use for cooking is in an underground tank so, it's safe.

Lessons learned living through the quakes in California, tornadoes, Irene and Katrina here and, my desire to be self sufficient and capable of going 100% off grid in a matter of minutes. This one is 1/4 the force Katrina was, still bad but nothing like what we've already been through here.

60 mph straight line winds are not unusual here during severe storms, Isaac is topping out at sustained 70 and gusts to 102 so, not a major worry. My home can take up to 150 MPH winds without significant damage (the chimney to my fireplace may collapse but that's about all.)

Category 1 I just heard on the news, and it is doing something extremely unusal for a system of its type, I certainly haven heard of this happening, but apparently it has stalled just before it has physically crossed the coast. Thats a worry because all this is doing is leading to higher storm surge.

All the best and hope it does something even more unusual and blow back out to sea.