Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love two men.... Can't pick one. Help please
What you have to understand is there is no "right" or "wrong" decision. There may be "better" or "worse" decisions but usually you don't figure that out until after the decision is made.

The point is, it doesn't matter WHICH you choose, or, if indeed, you choose either one. Or if you come up with some totally new possibility you haven't even thought of (ménage à trios, anyone?). The thing is, all of us make choices and all our choices have consequences and a good share of those will ALWAYS bee UNFORESEEN. Up to a point we can "predict" what will happen but when you get into the details, it is always different from what we predicted.

SO... Choose bachelor #1 and have all the fun you can stand until the bottom falls out. You'll hurt like hell but it will be fun as fuck while it lasts. Not a bad option.

Choose bachelor #2 and live happily ever after until you get bored as fuck and realize what a waste of time living "happily every after" is.

Choose neither; just go your own way; discover who you are; ponder the deep mysteries of life -- like, "Why the fuck can't I find the perfect boyfriend who just LVOES ME (end of story)?"

Choose to propose something OUTRAGEOUS to both your suitors: A threeway perhaps? Just to test the waters? I mean, you do know there are SOME things a couple just *can not do* right? The lot of you just have all the fun you can stand until the bottom falls out and everyone wants to kill everyone else and each goes his merry way.

It's all good! No matter which choice you make, you'll still end up EXACTLY where you need to be in your life. You might be miserable as fuck; or, alternately, you might discover that, you know what, these crazy dilemmas we put ourselves in? They're just a way to keep things churned up. What we REALLY REALLY REALLY want is to just live our lives and enjoy them and the people in them. Easy. No big deal. Of course, you'll have to be about three times as old as you are now for *THAT* to make sense.

Thank you all for your replies. I'll go into more detail about what exactly happened between guy 1 and I.

The night i asked him was he seeing anyone else and he got really defensive and said he wouldn't even feel guilty if he was. That broke me down. He was the first person i had felt so strong for. I didn't even feel that strongly in my previous long term relationship. People say it could of been the sex which made me feel that way but i'm not sure. But anyway...
Once i had broke down i moved on the quickest and most 'numbing' way i knew how. Find someone else. So i found Guy 2 a couple days later and he was pretty meh at first. He's into construction and cars and i'm a bit of a nerd. But all the same whenever we swapped numbers he was fine and we talked all day everyday. I had my heart set on him and I had to get rid of Guy 1.
Guy 1 knew something was wrong by the way i had been texting him so he invited me to his house the night after i came out to my dad. I wasn't going to go because i couldn't face him, but i did go. He made me dinner and then we sat down to talk. I told him how what he said had really hurt me. He told me he regretted it and didn't mean it. I told him I am looking something more serious and how i wished it could be with him and i started crying (i never cry in front of anyone). I explained to him how much I liked him and that i was sorry for getting attached because he had warned me. He told me he understands if I have to leave, it would hurt him but he understands. He said if i want to be just friends that's fine. He said he'll always be there for me and if i find someone else and that new guy messes me around he would sort them out. He started crying too and had to leave the room. I followed him out after a minute to find him sobbing in the kitchen. I hugged him and told him let's go lay down. So we went and lay down on his sofa. We talked about random stuff for a little while and then i said "Being honest i feel really strong about you if you know what i mean? I don't wanna say it cause i'm scared". He said "If you want me to say i love you, i will, because i do". I smiled and said "I love you too" and hugged him so hard. I cried because i had heard what i had longed to hear from him, finally.
Then i said "Ok being honest again, i've been talking to someone else ever since you said that". Him - "I can see why you would". Me - "I want you though, i always have" Him - "But i might hurt you". I can't really remember what happened after that but we sat and talked the whole night about random stuff. I ended up staying at his. The next day he said to me to keep talking to Guy 2 because he wanted me to make a judgement on liking them both and get a taste for being in a proper relationship.
Wrongfully i did keep talking to Guy 2. He was so sweet and nice. He was genuine and secure. Something i needed too. So the week after confessing my love to Guy 1 i had decided that i would get hurt like he said. So i swayed to guy 2 and i invited guy 2 to my house for dinner on a friday. We agreed on 3pm as meet up time so we could spend the day together. He got held up in work and told me it wouldn't be here till after 5pm. That annoyed me but i was okay with it. Then i didn't hear from him after that. I waited until 11pm to hear from him. I had no dinner cause i was waiting on him. He text me at 11 saying he fell asleep. He said he could still come up. But i just said no and went to bed (By the way that was the third time he stood me up).
So i turned to the man who i loved again. That sunday was my birthday. I invited Guy 1 up. He got me a lovely card and loads of presents which i wasn't expecting at all! We spent the night together and i was falling harder for him again.
3 nights ago Guy 1 stayed at mine too. He was talking about how his crazy ex was trying to get into his house and was threatening to out him again. (6 months after they had split). I was afraid that him and his ex would get back together. I had also caught him on a dating app 2 weeks ago. I questioned him on the dating app. He said he was just on looking at his messages and he didn't have any. He thought it was cute i was jealous. And he could see it bothered me. I was jokingly saying i've got my eye on you and all. Then i told him i was scared of him going back to ex and he said he never would. He said his ex was a psycho and didn't understand how if his ex wanted him back why he would be doing everything to push him away. He didn't want that crazy man anymore.
So we were lying in bed and i said "Can i ask you something. What are we?" Him - "I think of you as my.... i don't like to say the word but you know what i mean" (he was referring to boyfriend). I kissed him and he said "I love you" and i said "I really love you".

SO YES! I'M MAJORLY CONFUSED!!!! Torn between lovers is the perfect song to describe how i feel.
I agree that i have never gave time to myself. To be content with myself. I have had depression in the past and it was actually my previous relationship that helped me there, but i did always fall back into it. Both guys know about that and are caring that way. But yeah that's my problem. I don't know how to be happy alone and i don't want to say bye to both of these guys in case it is a big mistake that i will regret. The thought of guy 1 sleeping with someone else makes me feel physically sick. Guy 2 is perfect but i don't love him as much as guy 1 yet i still feel the need for him in my life. He's been really open with me and he's tried to be there for me despite me pushing him away. I know i have to end it with one otherwise one or the other will get hurt. But i'm so confused.
But yeah i'm majorly confused. I hate feeling this way.

Reading between the lines, it seems like you my have already made your decision deep down. Your latest post holds Guy 1 in a much more favourable light than Guy 2. How can Guy 2 be perfect if he stood you up 3 times? It seems like you are much more attracted and have stronger feelings for Guy 1. If you are going to choose either, I would choose Guy 1, based on what you have said. It's difficult to offer advice when we don't know the whole story (even though you have told us a fair amount). But although there are risks with Guy 1, I think deep down you know he's the one you want to persue things with.

I'm thinking maybe both guy number 1 and guy number 2 are beginning to have their own questions about the sanity of this situation by now... Aren't they?

Another thought, maybe you should just have a threesome, it might work.

East Wrote:...hearing Tina sing "What's Love Got To Do With It" over and over in my head since I read this..now it is a major ear worm...HELP!!!!!!

What does it mean? Is it a message?

Oh wait....I better stick with Tina Turner because I might get stuck with Mary MacGregor's "Torn Between Two Lovers"....

UGH...much much worse....

I think Tina is right anyway....

OK...OP...which song would YOU like to hear?
Thanks, [MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION], for reminding us what a great song What's Love Got To Do With It? is... haha. I just love it. And also, by the way, you can get rid of earworms by chewing gum, so it would seem. Tried that yet?

supasyd Wrote:It's all true what everyone is saying. Most people we get romantically involved with are only temporary. You either get with a guy who is too scared to have you, get with a guy who you'll get bored with after a month, or take time out of the farce and get to know who YOU are better. I've been there myself, and repeated my own mistakes more times than anyone should. Ultimately, nobody can help you. You'll be hurt now no matter what happens, but you'll learn. Guys are not as important as self fulfillment.

Only 22 and so shrewd. @supasyd. Confusedmile:

Hang on young, this is a long one. You deserve the best possible advice I can give and the most important things I can point out for you to think about.

Honestly young, I do think you've made your choice simply by the way you've written at length about guy 1. I have to tell you through, the thoroughness of detail of the highs and lows with which you describe this emotional tango with guy 1 only reinforce my belief that you know on some level that this relationship isn't going to last long and that you're going to be very hurt when it ends.

My reading of this situation is that your guy 1 is clutching at you, afraid to lose you all the while pushing you to look elsewhere at your options. All the tearful "I love you's" happen when you're both overwrought emotionally. It is easy to say I love you in the heat of tears. His reaction of "I love you", must have seemed sincere to you. Ask yourself though, if he was saying it in reaction to your emotions, or it it something he felt he was expected to say in order to keep you in his life. Remember how upset and confused you were/are. Are you certain you're comprehending the situation clearly? Be sure.

When he had to surmise that you wanted to say "I love you" back to him because you couldn't bring yourself to say it does not reassure me that he is someone with the integrity to wait patiently for you to be able to say those important words first. Personally if I were him I wouldn't have even tried to put those three words into your mouth. I would have waited days and even weeks for you to be able to say them yourself because then I would know that you were completely sure of yourself. I would know that you were confident in how you feel and I would know that you were ready to commit to the kind of relationship that I want with you. I would have felt like I was pushing you into words you were not ready to say... (Please remember when I phrase the situation in this manner that I am placing myself in his position and am only applying my own logic coupled with many years of experience to bear).

You have to look objectively at the time you've spent with guy 1, and that won't be easy. All of your emotions seem so close to the surface, raw and all encompassing. With that in mind young, you have to realize that massive confusion is bound to be the result. Try to wipe out all those conversations with both guys and concentrate on how you feel and what you know to be true.

Guy 1 isn't offering you a relationship out in the open, where you can date, hold hands in public (if you desire that), or acknowledge you to his friends and workmates. He's offering you what he can, which may be a deep love, or may (as I strongly suspect) be more like a companionship based on his need not to be alone. I think he wants --needs-- both a sexual outlet and to feel the love of someone in a private setting in which he risks nothing of his own security. He'd be the one behind you, in denial of his nature, nothing of himself in jeopardy to feel pain of rejection, or shame of admitting that he is gay. Beyond that, he also wouldn't know the feeling of joy, the weight lifted off him that comes with acknowledging to the world who he is at the core. He would be hiding you always.

Make no mistake, your guy 1 knows that you're in confusion and emotional turmoil. It really isn't hard, especially for guys in the closet that are deathly afraid of being exposed, to read the cues of other people. Breaking up with an old boyfriend, coming out to your father, see-sawing between two different men -- guy 1 knows exactly how off center you are. From my point of view that is one of the clearest reasons I would never put the words "I love you" in another man's mouth before he was ready to say them himself. You have to be on level footing, thinking clearly and not squarely in the center of a whirlwind of emotion before guy 1 should push you in any direction.

I'm not saying that your guy 1 is intentionally trying to manipulate you. My intuition tells me that he is desperately clutching at you for his need not to be alone, and that on some level, perhaps both consciously and subconsciously, he is steering you toward him by saying the things you want to hear from him.

Look at it objectively, he's not backing those words up with action. Instead of taking you out for a day to a restaurant, a drink, perhaps a movie for your birthday, he brings all the trappings for a celebration back behind closed doors. Yes, you probably did have a good time, think that he was thoughtful to remember your birthday and help you celebrate it. Truth be told I believe his intentions were probably meant sincerely. But remember that he did only as much as he could do without going further. None of your friends were invited and you stayed in talking. You were riding the happiness that someone was kind enough to remember your birthday, and he was able to talk to you through the fuzz of your emotions. Whether intentional on his part or not, he told you things that you wanted to hear. How could that not sway you toward him?

At the same time he is telling you his feelings he also on some level must feel enough moral reserve and warn you of what you're getting if you accept him into your life. This bit you relate is telling:
Quote:Then i said "Ok being honest again, i've been talking to someone else ever since you said that". Him - "I can see why you would". Me - "I want you though, i always have" Him - "But i might hurt you".

You're being brutally honest with him and he's outright warning you, however gently, that he "might hurt you". By saying that he's given himself permission, a back door away from guilt, to leave you in the future.

What happens if, in the future, you tire of being in his shadow, hidden away? That you need to be among the living and you really want him to be out in the world with him --as your boyfriend, the man he loves? Will he also feel like you're trying to drag him out of the closet? His saying his ex wants to "out him" feels like he's painted his past partner aggressively. Portraying another person as someone who wants to "out you" rather than simply saying, "he wanted me to be more open, to step out of the closet and acknowledge myself honestly, and I wasn't ready for that". One of those characterizations point to someone dead terrified of the truth and ready to tear down his ex's character to save his own reputation. The other option characterizes his ex as a gentler, less aggressive person in nature. He takes no responsibility for not coming cut, or even at a minimum of not being ready to be who he is openly as a reason for the break up. Instead he paints his ex as crazy, always with the caveat that he was, and still is, determined to "out him". Do you know if this is true? Have you met his ex partner? Why would you ever be worried about guy 1 going back to his ex if he thinks she's crazy and poses a risk to him?

And you may be sure that he also told his ex at some point that he loved him. Not many people will enter into a relationship without some declaration of feeling, of love. Maybe his ex did know that he was still in the closet and maybe he did make the mistake of thinking eventually he could persuade guy 1 to step into the light. In my experience its usually a big mistake to enter a relationship thinking you can change your partner somehow, even to his own benefit. The more guy 1 is asked to come out of the closet the more determined he'll be to dig in and resist.

So ask yourself, are you willing to sacrifice your honesty to people and acknowledge that you're going to live in the closet with him. People will say "If you really love him...". If the conditions didn't include hiding yourself, or you stepping back from the tough but positive decisions that you've made in your life, I might think that you're asking too much of him. The "If you really loved him you would..." logic is a trap. It doesn't leave you any options for what are reasonable requests for change. People do have to make compromises when in a relationship. It's necessary.

Sometimes when the compromise is too great, weighted more on one side than the other with no chance that the scales will ever to tip back to an even balance, you have to acknowledge that you're giving up too much. He has to demonstrate on some credible level that he's willing to begin to meet you halfway. That there may be a time when he is ready to step out of the shadows. In the end with your best interests in mind he should see that it is to both of your detriment if you stay hidden away with him as a condition of the relationship.

If he does agree to compromise and try to be more open, I believe he must at least give you some kind of evidence that the words he says are backed with action. At a bare minimum you both could attend couples therapy: you coached in how to best aid him with positive reinforcement without being overbearing, he into acknowledging that he is leading half a life, that the weight of barring himself from the world is damaging to his self esteem. Therapists are bound not to discuss the details of a therapy session. His secret would remain safe. Steps toward a better life and proof to you that he is willing to try and change, would go a long way to backing those three words, "I love you."

Quote:So we were lying in bed and i said "Can i ask you something. What are we?" Him - "I think of you as my.... i don't like to say the word but you know what i mean" (he was referring to boyfriend).
He can't even say the word boyfriend, instead letting you define how he feels. Or is he letting you assume how he feels about you? Again he's given himself an out about commitment, however indirectly. In any case if he's afraid to say the word, and you're afraid to say the words "I love you", that should tell you something profound about the nature of the basis of your relationship.

Quote:Wrongfully i did keep talking to Guy 2.
Guy 1 encouraged you to do this. Maybe he did it with the best intentions. My apologies for seeming so suspicious, but I cannot help feeling that he is not all that altruistic. The end result in my mind, it that he is steering you toward thinking he wants the best for you by allowing you the illusion of choice. He can afford to do this because you have just spent the evening supposedly being honest with each other. You might have been trying to be as honest as you could, even as completely confused as you are. He, on the other hand is saying "I love you" when you press him for a definition of what you are to one another and gives you a lovely birthday surprise. This comes after your disappointment of being stood up from a date from guy 2 (yet again). Giving you the freedom to talk to guy 2 in light of guy 1's attention to you, in view of your disappointment with guy 2's failings, feels suspect.

I back what I say here by telling you that you felt "wrongful" in continuing to talk to guy 2. You wouldn't feel guilty if guy 1 had honestly had your best interest at heart. You would know that he only wants you to feel sure of your own feelings.That he felt confident enough whether the situation swung in his favor or not, that you had chosen based upon your true feelings and in your own best interest for happiness. To me that's real love: Wanting what is best for the person you love even if it costs you the pain of loss. Putting your well being above his own. While it is true that his own self preservation must be considered, he also must acknowledge what is best for both of you. Love shouldn't be selfish. Not when you're so obviously messed up anyway.

Quote:I had also caught him on a dating app 2 weeks ago. I questioned him on the dating app. He said he was just on looking at his messages and he didn't have any. He thought it was cute i was jealous. And he could see it bothered me.
Again, your words. Having the dating app of his phone doesn't bother me. There are bound to be bits of his past life, flotsam left unattended and not yet discarded. Having the dating app on his phone is circumstantial information to me: it doesn't by itself prove the intention to cheat. That he was looking for messages on it, that's a horse of a different color. Wha?, He has some guys who are "just friends" on his dating app that he keeps in touch with platonically? This seems unlikely. Then he diffuses your mistrust by flattering you. "How cute, you're jealous". If he could see that it bothered you, he could show you how easy it is to delete the app from his phone. Show you his computer and delete any corresponding apps there. If it were me and I felt strongly about you, the cost of proving it wouldn't be difficult to illustrate.

Not long ago Virge mentioned something in one of his posts about he and his man. It was something like when Virge got home he turned off his phone and gave it to his boyfriend, and his boyfriend who sometimes got emergency calls that came via his occupation and thus needed to know when there might be a crisis he was obligated to handle, gave his phone to Virge who would then screen his boyfriends calls to separate the emergencies from the distractions. This action gave me great respect for both of them. They back their commitment with action. They solved any potential issue of mistrust by nipping it in the bud. Additionally, they insured that there wouldn't be any distractions away from the time they spend together. This is a couple who acknowledge a possible problem, talk about it, and implement a solution that both of them could live with.

That is the equal footing that should be the basis for any relationship. Mutual respect. Honesty.

Quote:Guy 2 is perfect but i don't love him as much as guy 1 yet i still feel the need for him in my life. He's been really open with me and he's tried to be there for me despite me pushing him away.

If you don't want to be with guy 2, that's fine. Keep him as a friend if possible. If not, be grateful you could be a part of his life even for a short while. If nothing else he's given you some perspective. A choice about what could be, even if he happened not to be the guy that could fulfill that kind of relationship. He might not be Mr. Right, but there are other fish in the sea.

Slow down. It really isn't a good idea to make large decisions regarding very important parts of your life when you are under stress, when you are unsure, or when you are afraid and confused. Take the time you need to make sure. There isn't any rush is there? Shouldn't you be sure of what you want, what you need, before you place your heart at risk? Let your emotions settle. Be confident about your decisions. You can learn lessons from a failed romance, but wouldn't you rather do everything you can to insure that your relationship succeeds? Remember, if this love fails, you won't be the only one hurt. Not even if he pretends otherwise.

I'll stop harping at you. You know your heart. I hope I've at least given you food for thought.

Best,
Steve

Neither of them sound right for you.

Guy 1 might have feelings for you but he is in the closet and so isn't going to commit. He's looking for a fuck buddy and you're a convenience. If you leave he has to find someone else who is willing to have a casual relationship with somebody in the closet.

Guy 2 sounds sweet but isn't really rocking your world so why settle? It would be kinder to let him find someone who is really into him and doesn't find him occasionally boring.

Personally, I'd wait until someone more suited comes along.

Hey everyone,
Thank you all so much for your advice. It's been 3 weeks since i last posted here and I wanted to fill you guys in.

I chose Guy 1. I loved him and it wasn't fair that I was leading Guy 2 on. Guy 2 and I are still friends and I still hang out with him but non-romantically. Guy 1 and I were good for a while. He was so lovely, telling me he loved me and missed me on days that we didn't see each other. One day i arrived at his house and he wouldn't stop kissing me for an hour, then we eventually had dinner lol.
However, not is all as it seems. I've noticed over the last week he has been more and more distant. I'm messaging him first, i only say i love you, i only say i miss you. He said on saturday night in a drunk text "love you too" yet that was the only time. Yesterday i wanted to see him because normally he would stop at my house on a sunday on the way home from seeing family at the weekend. He said he was feeling down so he didn't want to, he just wanted to go home. So naturally i asked him what was wrong. He told me he woke up missing his ex. (The guy who he had been with for 5 years and messed him around). He said maybe it was because they hadn't spoke in so long. He said that he wouldn't contact him because he knew if he ever went back there it would just be hell again. THAT REALLY CUT DEEP WITH ME.
He knows i have issues about him leaving me for someone else. The fact he has been considering going back to his ex really hurt. So i broke down. i told him it is natural to miss someone you were with for so long. Sad that he's a twisted prick. I asked him if i could please see him tonight even just for an hour because i'm really down now. He said he couldn't. I asked why he couldn't, and that i needed him because i was so down. He said he was going out with friends now for drinks to try and take his mind off things. SO I WANTED TO SEE HIM EARLIER BUT HE DIDN'T WANT TO SEE ME BECAUSE HE WAS DOWN YET HE GOES TO SEE HIS FRIENDS?!?! Anyway, i told him i was crying my eyes out and that i was finding it hard to breath, and that i was really down. So could i see him for 10 mins just really quickly. "I'm so sorry i'm leaving in a couple mins Sad" That's what i got back. So i just told him i was gonna go drive about and be alone. On that drive i kept listening to songs shouting at myself for falling for him so hard. One of the songs was Wings by Birdy. He did text me half an hour later and asked me if i was okay. I just told him i had calmed down a bit and when could i next see him. Because i want to talk to him about this. He said tuesday. So i shall see him then.
Then i kept asking him are you okay now and he said he came home early and went to bed because he can't stop thinking about his ex. I told him i loved him and that i'm always here for him. He said he was listening to a song that kept making him think of his ex, it was Wings by Birdy. So i broke down again. That same song i thought of him when i heard, he was thinking about someone else. But i played it cool. Because i don't want to scare him off until tuesday until i can tell him how i really feel Sad
What do i do? Am i overreacting?