Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If being feminine/soft considered inferior
Anocxu Wrote:Of all the the things you will encounter in this life...

Believe me when I say masculinity or femininity will be such a small part of it.

I hope you're right, Anoxcu.

But how you act will follow you through your entire life and if it's an issue for you, then that issue will likely persist and follow you through said life. You might get into bigger trouble than just offensive language, which will make words seem like piss in the sea, but I don't think that's what Anocxu meant.

Either way, I sincerely hope you'll have the luck to come to a place with decent, respecting, open-minded and kind people. Those kinds of people really do exist Wink.

Love
Hatred
Lessons
Mistakes
Education
Finances
Health
Wealth
Regrets
Reconciliation
Forgiveness
Resentment
Atonement

...just to name a few.

Uneunsae Wrote:I know EXACTLY how you feel, except that I even dress androgynous so people often mistake me for a girl. I've also been ridiculed, teased, harrassed, judge for my mannerisms. Rude people will call me a girl on purpose. Neither men nor women trust me because I'm different. The women at my last job got fiercely competitive and bitchy with me. It's odd because I'm gentle and keep to myself mostly. I don't have that feminine raving "queen" attitude that some feminine gay men have.

Being how you are is NOT something to be ashamed of. I know sometimes you feel like you want to hide or run away from people, but it's the other people with the problem, not you. Women and men aren't all a certain way in how they look, dress, behave, no matter what your culture might say. We are all varied in many aspects. Everyone is different and but many people constantly HIDE who they truly are. Don't be one of those people.

This pic is a lot like me. My hair is the same style, but very long and my face is feminine. I am 32 but many people think I just graduated from high school. That can be a benefit to being feminine.

[Image: 0f0197ff49e6f1f8226284879ccf9d26.jpg]

I've actually been treated more kindly by Asians than other people. The most vulgar comments and harassment are never from Asians. But Laos has a more strict definition of male and female than Korea and Japan so that's got to be hard for you. Sad

You are NOT inferior. You are a good person and very kind. That's what matters. Don't listen to anyone else and love yourself, okay? Smile

Uneunsae Wrote:People like us are beautiful. The world needs more softness. Please don't hate yourself.

Thnk you for your kind words Uneunsae Smile I feel much better now.

Stevie Wrote:Please listen. Please don't hate yourself for being who you are. Change the chant "I hate myself" in your head. Because I don't hate you. I understand you.

Don't be ashamed of being who you are. Many people, even in gay friendly, "tolerant", countries try to make effeminate men feel ashamed and inferior. Sometimes I think some people hurt others just for sport - for the fun of doing it. Often I think fear compels people to harass other people who they don't understand. I've had more than one gay person tell me they dislike/hate me because I make all homosexuals look bad. Most often though, I think people show hate toward those of us who show effeminate behavior to make themselves feel better than us, to physically and verbally show us that we are less than they are on life's scale. In other words, bullies are insecure people.

I could tell you so much about the extent of people's hate. I have very real firsthand experience. Like you I never had a choice about my nature. Even trying to hide what I was, my closet was essentially glass because it was obvious that I was gay from the way I spoke, from the way I moved, from the way I dressed, and some people even pegged me as gay because I was smart (I never figured out that last one). My youth was a living hell from which I have never healed.

I could go into details, but this post is about supporting you.

I know how you hurt. And I know that you must often think that you don't want to go on. I understand how it happens when you start to give in and feel as though you actually deserve what people continually dish out hour by hour, minute by minute. I know how easy it is to hate yourself for something that you have no power to change.

The campaign "It gets better" was always such a lovely concept, but it was also pretty disingenuous. When I was in the place that you seem to be in now I would have screamed, "When? Exactly when does it get better? Because it isn't now. And it needs to be better now".

All I can honesty tell you is to remember who you are every minute of every day. Remember that no matter what indignity, what hate, people spew toward you, believe in the truth that is inside you: You are no any less a human being than anyone else. You are as good a person as you can be. Remember these things. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward, past the hate. Duck down if you must. There is no shame in self preservation. If you must avoid the people who hate, avoid them if you can, if you must.

Many people will say stand up to the bullies. To certain degree I'll agree with them. In a perfect world standing up to those who consistently hate you, torment you, and abuse you is the ideal solution. If that is possible, and you can find people who will support you if you decide to stand up for yourself, by all means, it is the correct position to take.

But there are many... too many places in the world, to some extent even here in the US, where standing up for yourself will get you jailed, tortured, or killed. It happens, and unfortunately that is simply the truth of it.

So if it is not possible for you to stand against those who hate, who bully and make you feel less a human than they are, there is no shame in self preservation. But don't lose perspective either. You are not to blame for other people's inability to accept those different from themselves. You are a better person than they are because you know that people can lead productive lives, live fully, and help others no matter if they are gay, straight, bisexual, lesbian, transitioning, transsexual, questioning ... or whether they are simply effeminate and misunderstood. You must keep that with you at all times. You are a good person. And keep moving forward. One step at a time.

Thnks Stevie Smile I will surely follow your advice.

dynamodean Wrote:There is nothing wrong being feminine, masculine, butch, soft...whatever. Those are all just dumb labels anyway. The problem lies with the ignorant people around you who have frightening levels of prejudice and tunnel vision. Don't hate yourself because you are perfect the way you are but at the same time realize that this world may be too stupid and backwards to fully accept an honest, true, and unique soul such as yourself. Stay safe and protect yourself and know that there are others that are accepting of you just like we are here.

deepu69 Wrote:I just hate prejudice in any form.

CellarDweller Wrote:There is nothing wrong with 'soft' or 'feminine'!

I'm sorry that you've had to deal with bad behavior directed at you, but they are wrong.

Borg69 Wrote:Unfortunately, even though we're somewhat "evolved", this is still mostly a "Dog eat dog", "Survival of the fittest", world filled with 'animals' that will view any form of passiveness as a weakness/flaw.

The bright side is, you're smarter than those mouth breathing, knuckle dragging chest pounders and can outwit and outsmart them every time.

yesterday Wrote:people are people at the end of the day and we should accept them no matter what, personally i am not that bothered how a person acts in that sense as long as we like each other and if you think about life also, everything we do these days is controlled by society and is far from the natural laws of life its self so thats why people have a warped sense of people which is controlled by society its self again.

Iceblink Wrote:bluedragon, I know it is very difficult to do, but eventually we all have to learn to not let the opinions of haters, the people who do not matter, have any influence on how you live your life and to keep you from being yourself. None of us like rejection and unkind words, but we would drive ourselves insane and never get a night's sleep if we let these people occupy our mind.

AdamAndWill Wrote:Will: First of all, there's something wrong with a society where being a soft, gentle, sensitive person is equated with being weak, and being (to steal a phrase from Borg) a "mouth breathing, knuckle dragging chest pounder" is equated with being strong and a "real man".

And the other thing is, no matter who you are or how you act someone's going to criticize. To go to the other extreme, I've had gay guys go off on me publicly and accuse me of being a sell-out and a "wanna-be gay" because I'm a cop and that apparently violates some Code of Gayness.
I remember a line from some old song that goes, You can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself...

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this, it isn't right and it isn't fair, and I hope things get better.

Cuddly Wrote:The guy at 0:43 is fabulous. I would absolutely not be embarrased to have such a guy as a friend/being seen with him.

It's not easy to be confident when you're subject to ridicule, but remember that things said to you tell more about the person speaking, than it does about you.
You dad lacks confidence and selfasteem. He fears how having an expressive son will reflect on him; will it make him look less of a man? Ofcourse it won't, in fact accepting and proudly embrassing you would make him a much bigger man, in my eyes.
The bullies at school are afraid of being left out and being alone, so they make fun of those they perceive as weak in order to have something in common and to make themselves look superior. In fact, all it shows is that they're scared little fucks.

Laugh it off, you're awesome just as you are!

Aike Wrote:It's OK to be feminine. And as other have already encouraged you to do, please don't hate yourself for what you are. But I think you already know that.

Don't give up on trying to make friends. There are always people who would accept you just as you are and we all need those kind of people in our lives. So be persistent and don't stop looking!

OkayOkay Wrote:You are "beautiful" just as you are.

If people can't see past their insecurities and hate...it is their problem, not yours.

There are (and will be) people who will LOVE you just as you are. never forget that.

17vs41 Wrote:This is indeed an interesting topic.

If you knew me from around the neighborhood, like many others you'd think I was the nicest person ever with a true heart of gold who seems as straight and as strong as they come. But you'd also hear about how I am one to never cross and one who won't hesitate to protect by any means necessary

I like to tell others that I can kick your ass without ever laying a hand on you through words and this type of beating causes much more pain then a physical one

As long as you are you, then don't worry about what others think. No matter who we are or how we dress and act, someone will always judge us, so learn to not value the opinions of those who only speak because they have a hole in their face.

I was a Marine and served in an infantry unit and deployed twice. I did this as a very sensitive and emotional gay young male and without stroking my ego, I actually was a cut above most Marines and often viewed them as "fags" because of how much they complained about everything and anything....Dog

Anocxu Wrote:Of all the the things you will encounter in this life...

Believe me when I say masculinity or femininity will be such a small part of it.

Cuddly Wrote:I hope you're right, Anoxcu.

But how you act will follow you through your entire life and if it's an issue for you, then that issue will likely persist and follow you through said life. You might get into bigger trouble than just offensive language, which will make words seem like piss in the sea, but I don't think that's what Anocxu meant.

Either way, I sincerely hope you'll have the luck to come to a place with decent, respecting, open-minded and kind people. Those kinds of people really do exist Wink.

Thnks for your kind words guys. Smile It made me forget my sorrows (something humiliating happened last Monday. that's why i felt depressed Sad )

Now, I have managed to push those vile memories away from my mind. I have just started another semester in uni and I hope to do well for my modules this time. And hopefully, I can make some new understanding friends in school. Smile

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:My father berated and ridiculed me for not being the overtly masculine version of a son he wanted every day i lived under his roof, and every opportunity he got once I'd moved out on my own. He encouraged extended family to participate (which they did) and often introduced me to people as his "other daughter" (I have a sister).

It can be at times crushing to not live up to our parents expectations... or others expectations, for that matter. I can definitely sympathize with how you're feeling. But, choosing to be who you are develops an inner strength more formidable than any "masculine" quality you may try to adopt.

Don't let the closed minded make you ashamed of who you are. Be yourself, and be proud that you have the strength to go against their pressure to be true to yourself.

No. There is nothing wrong with being softer, androgynous, or more effeminate. In fact, there are many who find the qualities both intriguing and very appealing.

Don't hate yourself. Take pride in having the strength to be -yourself- instead of some socially expected carbon copy.

Gideon Wrote:I don't really view soft as feminine personally, but I get the stereotype society likes to slam on people that way.

Read Twist's post above and then let me tell you that him being who he is makes him more of a -man- than his father or any of the idiots who would bully or criticize you, him or anyone else for being who you are. He's open minded, he's fair, he's got integrity and honesty and okay so he's amazing...and yes, I am extremely biased.

But seriously, be proud of who you are, be true to yourself, LIKE yourself...and fuck em if they don't like it, yeah? Those aren't the people who's opinions should matter anyway.

I'm sry to hear that your father treated you that way , Twist Sad
I hope you have got over it now.

Thnks for your kind words guys Smile