Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My sexuality
I may have answered my own question with a google search, which said...

non copyrighted

"I believe the answer is rather prosaic. John Lennon's inspiration for his lyrics in the song came in part from reading a newspaper. Someone rich was reported as having committed suicide in his car (the 'lucky man who made the grade'). Another column mentioned the state of road repair in Blackburn, where, to the shock and horror of the readership, there were 4,000 holes. A lot of John Lennon's writing was pythonesque, even before the Beatles' celebrated acid-dropping experiences, so please don't believe that this is either some sort of drug-induced insight or eternal truth.

Simon Gilman, London

It all relates to the line 'I read the news today, oh boy'. In the same paper with the details of the car crash, Lennon saw on an adjoining page, an article about the results of a survey by Blackburn's Council which concluded there were over 4,000 potholes on the streets.

Neil McLoram, UK

trust me, we have far more holes in America, mainly in the souls of a good people who are prepared to elect a fascist dictator out of ignorance...

so no criticism meant, just an honest question. I always wondered what the line meant.

strider65 Wrote:starlight, is it true? Americans want to know.

are there really 4,000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire?

"There are 4000 holes in the road in Blackburn Lancashire, one twenty-sixth of a hole per person, according to a council survey. If Blackburn is typical then there are over two million holes in Britain's roads and 300 000 in London."

ETA... looks like we both google found the same info. Didn't see your posts before I posted mine there.

Then you should give it a try with a girl