Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political correctness
Tyrion Wrote:The poo part is what truly offended me Sad

Really? I got offended by boob!

joseph2 Wrote:hello well lot of peple been called badnames abot being gay .or othersthings. by nasty peple who hate d wont to hurt you.so it is bad words for them. your luck you not been. aa kid plese can you call me bad name plese.

I can call you all the bad names you like Smile

Pinkieone

I got a lot of that too. But it's only names on the internet. The way I use them is often not to offend people but if it dose then I DON'T CARE.

As I said before joe I use word to express MYSELF.
EVERYONE GET OVER THE PC BULL SHIT AND GET INTO REALITY!
When I use to go to PFLAG south youth group we had a few discussions on RECLAIMING words like faggot and normalizing them for ourselves. I use words that I use and don't care if I offend any one cos I'm not out to offend people. If they are being childish about stuff and get offended easily then good.

I'm not sure that's what political correctness is.

Personally, I'm in full support of being polite to avoid offence.
I understand that's perhaps not the cool thing, but meh.

It seems to be a growing trend, people liking to brag about how they don't care about being rude and upsetting people.

I don't care much for political correctness. The most interesting debates are the most unsettling ones.

I'm not certain what political correctness is. I am very certain about how I see it used hereabouts.

It is used as a way of avoiding having to raise an argument, find some evidence or cogently express a point. If I can dismiss your views as being PC it saves me the trouble of making the effort to establish my own, or even to make it clear what my views are. You may think my arguments are PC but that doesn't absolve you of the responsibility of addressing them if you want yours to prevail.

As to the issue of not being bothered about offending, that's fine, off you go. Consider, though, that this is a small backwater of a big internet with perhaps a couple of dozen regular participants. If it were a place that influences policymakers or helped change behaviour among the many, then giving offence would be acceptable.

Among a small group of friends it isn't, or at least shouldn't be. To boast about it is really only to set yourself up; I'm going to find it hard to think of you as other than the man who likes to offend people. I promise I'll do my best not to let that colour the seriousness with which I consider your views but it'll be hard work. Can you offer me a reason why I should make the effort?

There are people on here with whom I will never see eye to eye, we've had goes at one another and it's been intellectually stimulating. Practically none of those posters has deliberately said anything to offend. They've had a go at my arguments and I've had a go at theirs. I'm hoping that like me they believe that the very last people you want to offend are strangers; it's going to be the only thing they remember you for.

People will argue that one shouldn't have to walk on eggshells and that there is a thin line between giving offence and robust argument. No, it's a fairly broad and well signposted line. If there's any ambiguity people will err on the generous side and think "well' perhaps (s)he didn't really mean that". They won't be doing that if you announce in advance that you don't care about what people feel. If you'd said nothing, you'd always have the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

This is the internet, it doesn't give prizes for winning arguments. Strongly held views don't attract more points than tedious, well expressed minor ones. The reward is in the engagement. I get my biggest kick out of the knowledge that someone has taken the trouble to read my stuff. The kindness of strangers never ceases to astonish.

I am a sensitive soul, so perhaps you can offer me a reason why I shouldn't put you on ignore?

Having said all that if any of you bastards disagree with me I'm going to swear a lot and leave, that'll hit you where it really hurts.Confusedmile:

Militant gay is soooo 20th Century.

Its the 21st century Kidd - there are better ways to upset the apple cart, get married, adopt kids and then walk the baby buggy with your husband by your side.

cardiganwearer Wrote:As to the issue of not being bothered about offending, that's fine, off you go. Consider, though, that this is a small backwater of a big internet with perhaps a couple of dozen regular participants. If it were a place that influences policymakers or helped change behaviour among the many, then giving offence would be acceptable.

Among a small group of friends it isn't, or at least shouldn't be. To boast about it is really only to set yourself up; I'm going to find it hard to think of you as other than the man who likes to offend people. I promise I'll do my best not to let that colour the seriousness with which I consider your views but it'll be hard work. Can you offer me a reason why I should make the effort?

There are people on here with whom I will never see eye to eye, we've had goes at one another and it's been intellectually stimulating. Practically none of those posters has deliberately said anything to offend. They've had a go at my arguments and I've had a go at theirs. I'm hoping that like me they believe that the very last people you want to offend are strangers; it's going to be the only thing they remember you for.

People will argue that one shouldn't have to walk on eggshells and that there is a thin line between giving offence and robust argument. No, it's a fairly broad and well signposted line. If there's any ambiguity people will err on the generous side and think "well' perhaps (s)he didn't really mean that". They won't be doing that if you announce in advance that you don't care about what people feel. If you'd said nothing, you'd always have the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

This is the internet, it doesn't give prizes for winning arguments. Strongly held views don't attract more points than tedious, well expressed minor ones. The reward is in the engagement. I get my biggest kick out of the knowledge that someone has taken the trouble to read my stuff. The kindness of strangers never ceases to astonish.

I am a sensitive soul, so perhaps you can offer me a reason why I shouldn't put you on ignore?

Having said all that if any of you bastards disagree with me I'm going to swear a lot and leave, that'll hit you where it really hurts.Confusedmile:

YOU DON'T EVEN READ!!! I SAY I DON'T CARE IF I OFFEND PEOPLE I'M NOT GOING TO GO OUT OF MY WAY TO OFFEND.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't put me on ignore either. But you haven't had a chance to get to know me. I'm frustrated as cos of some of the cunts on here. Say what you will I think you know nothing about POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!

THIS IS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. Faga1

Speak No, See No, Hear No

Kiid Wrote:YOU DON'T EVEN READ!!! I SAY I DON'T CARE IF I OFFEND PEOPLE I'M NOT GOING TO GO OUT OF MY WAY TO OFFEND.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't put me on ignore either. But you haven't had a chance to get to know me. I'm frustrated as cos of some of the cunts on here. Say what you will I think you know nothing about POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!

THIS IS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. Faga1

Speak No, See No, Hear No

I have said what I will. The first line of my post says

Quote:I'm not certain what political correctness is.

but you didn't read it did you? You just ranted about political correctness (again) believing that it's some sort of magic expression that saves you having to use a bit of imagination and produce an argument or, heaven forfend, listen to anyone else's. Instead you bang on and on about political correctness yet again because it's lazy and angry all sorts of other stuff that saves you having to think. Still, I'll have to concede defeat; there is no defence against ALL CAPS, it's a winner every time.

I am as likely as the next person to use the c word, but I wouldn't use it when I had no idea who might be reading it. That's because I do actually care who I might offend and take the trouble not to do it gratuitously.

You are under no obligation to show such consideration, but you mustn't be surprised at the conclusions people may draw from your lack of consideration. Claiming that you don't set out to offend is a bit thin when you are so ready to resort to language that is almost universally guaranteed to offend someone. And in pursuit of what point exactly? You don't seem to have made one and you're clearly determined not to make clear what you mean by political correctness.

Of course I'm not going to put you on ignore, but you'd be kidding yourself if you thought that this was through any desire to know you better. Why would I want to know someone who takes pride in a lack of consideration for other people's feelings?

Tyrion Wrote:Political correctness is over-rated. It seems these days everyone has to bite their tongue in fear of offending someone. The fact is.. nearly no matter what you say or think.. SOMEONE in the world will be offended by it. Granted, there's a difference between rudeness and political correctness.. but often times it just goes over board.. like when GLAAD demands an apology when a comedian makes a gay slur. Really? Comedians offend everyone..

Why...I think I lurve you!!!!

Bighug