Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigh-cho Rant
i've been depressed lately, and the closer the new year comes the worst it gets. i thought after coming out i wouldn’t have to hide anymore. but i still hide my sexuality from everyone i know, even my family whom i've already told. i really don’t want to enter a new year the person i was this year, but i don’t even know how to change… or what to change…*sigh*

on top of being queer in a very religious household, i'm also secretly atheist (agnostic) and i might be a little bipolar, idk...

how can I be open and show my family who i really am regardless of them blatantly ignoring me? i'm not afraid at all, i just don't know how to kick-start the "new me"...

Hey chibi...I am not sure what will work for you ...I think a lot of people have this kind of struggle but since you mentioned the New Year as daunting ...try looking at your life in the moment...and try to BE in the moment....

It is much easier to wrestle our demons in the present .....in the moment....

I often tell people that it is about the journey and not the destination. What that means...if you want to be who you are in the future...take each step in the present to bring yourself there and when you arrive...it won't even matter because the steps you took were the real destination..each day..each moment...

So take some baby steps....challenge yourself...grow little each day...find something you are afraid of and confront it...one step at a time....

Hi [MENTION=22088]chibigiraffe[/MENTION]

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's a difficult one as religious families are difficult to tackle sometimes. I guess by the sounds of things you want to come out but even after you have its not acknowledged?

The important thing is that you only do what you are comfortable with. If you are ready to come out or for people to know that you are agnostic or atheistic do so. Pick people who are more likely to be understanding or less likely to react badly. Tell them what you are comfortable with.

The inportant thing is that you feel safe doing so and if it's making you depressed hiding your sexuality it's not helping you by hiding away. I felt so much better after I came out of the closet but I wanted to be able to support myself independently as I knew that once I did I would have to support myself.

As [MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] said take each day as it comes. Some days will be better and some people will be more supportive than others.

Hope the new year is a better year and a fresh start.

chibigiraffe Wrote:how can I be open and show my family who i really am regardless of them blatantly ignoring me?

I guess I don't fully understand this. Are you saying you want your family to accept your sexuality or are you trying to prove something to them?

I'm sorry it is difficult for you, it has been that way for many of us. But who you are is much more than your sexuality. At least that is how I feel. It's important to be honest about who you are, but your sexuality will eventually be expressed most in a romantic relationship.
Being gay is just part of who you are, not all of who you are.

Let's just pause for a moment.

You think you might be a bit bi-polar?

This is where you need to start. Speak to your Doctor about this and see if you can be tested and/or counseled on this. If you are indeed bi-polar, all of our good advice isn't worth a bucket of warm spit, because the imbalance in your neurochemistry will win out every time. Is there a history of this disorder in your family?

As far as being a homo around people....it is more a case of just being who you are....not a performance piece. I'm a homo around my family but it doesn't mean that I'm a different person around them.....and I don't expect them to put every single thing that I do or say in the context of me being a homo....what behaviour do you feel you are having to repress when you are around your family?

Likewise with being atheist. A true atheist or agnostic doesn't really care if others are believers.....it is possible to be an atheist without screaming at every religious person you are around.

To be blunt, I think what you need to be doing is getting out more and socializing...making sure to bring your friends home to meet your family. Maybe it is also time for you to get serious about living away from the family unit as well. At your age you should be thinking about creating your own life as an adult.

[MENTION]Rareboy[/MENTION]said: "Likewise with being atheist. A true atheist or agnostic doesn't really care if others are believers.....it is possible to be an atheist without screaming at every religious person you are around."

Likewise a person who has a faith and is secure in it does not need others to believe the same to appreciate and respect them for who they are.

Darius Wrote:I guess I don't fully understand this. Are you saying you want your family to accept your sexuality or are you trying to prove something to them?

I'm sorry it is difficult for you, it has been that way for many of us. But who you are is much more than your sexuality. At least that is how I feel. It's important to be honest about who you are, but your sexuality will eventually be expressed most in a romantic relationship.
Being gay is just part of who you are, not all of who you are.

i mean to say that after coming out they pushed it off and don't even acknowledge it. my father said that he will never view me that way no matter what. they even tried to convince me that it was a choice. i asked them that if it was a choice, could they choose to be gay. they said yes, which made me go nuts for a second. i ended up ending the conversation by telling them that was the most offensive thing anyone could ever say to me.

i know they'll always be religious and stick to their beliefs, i don't care, as long as they don't try to force me to. i just want some recognition. i want them to see me for who i really am and not who they want me to be, but i can't force them to do that; i wouldn't if i could (even though i would be nice)...

Rareboy Wrote:Let's just pause for a moment.

You think you might be a bit bi-polar?

This is where you need to start. Speak to your Doctor about this and see if you can be tested and/or counseled on this. If you are indeed bi-polar, all of our good advice isn't worth a bucket of warm spit, because the imbalance in your neurochemistry will win out every time. Is there a history of this disorder in your family?

yes, my aunt says that it runs in the family but my mother is too afraid to get tested. she probably rights it off as some trick of the devil or something...

Rareboy Wrote:As far as being a homo around people....it is more a case of just being who you are....not a performance piece. I'm a homo around my family but it doesn't mean that I'm a different person around them.....and I don't expect them to put every single thing that I do or say in the context of me being a homo....what behaviour do you feel you are having to repress when you are around your family?

well, i can't really talk to them about my "gay" feelings, i don't have anyone to talk to about this kind of stuff. whenever the topic of boyfriends or girlfriends come up I feel awkward and end up ditching the conversation... and whenever they start spouting about the "gay agenda" i just walk away to keep myself sane...

Rareboy Wrote:Likewise with being atheist. A true atheist or agnostic doesn't really care if others are believers.....it is possible to be an atheist without screaming at every religious person you are around.

To be blunt, I think what you need to be doing is getting out more and socializing...making sure to bring your friends home to meet your family. Maybe it is also time for you to get serious about living away from the family unit as well. At your age you should be thinking about creating your own life as an adult.

i know i need to start creating my own life and my own social circles. it just seems like a daunting task for a introvert like me. all my parents ever introduced me to was church and anything relating to it. after realizing my "homosexuality" and "atheism" i don't feel comfortable around the same people anymore...

i'm really trying to transfer to a new school away from home. its just all complicated right now, but i don't want to sound like a crybaby with my first-world problems... thanks for letting me rant

chibigiraffe Wrote:i mean to say that after coming out they pushed it off and don't even acknowledge it. my father said that he will never view me that way no matter what. they even tried to convince me that it was a choice. i asked them that if it was a choice, could they choose to be gay. they said yes, which made me go nuts for a second. i ended up ending the conversation by telling them that was the most offensive thing anyone could ever say to me.

i know they'll always be religious and stick to their beliefs, i don't care, as long as they don't try to force me to. i just want some recognition. i want them to see me for who i really am and not who they want me to be, but i can't force them to do that; i wouldn't if i could (even though i would be nice)...
What you have here is largely a semantic (inability to communicate with words) problem. What "gay" means to you is not what "gay" means to them. So, you asked them the wrong question because to them "gay" just means "have sex with some one of the same gender" (or something like that). For you it means "sexual preference based on what I find arousing."

In other words, had you asked your dad, "do men's bodies get you aroused sexually? Could you *choose* for them to?" -- see, that's a different question. What arouses us isn't a choice. We *can* choose (at least under some circumstances) to have sex with people and genders that don't particularly arouse us. Gay men have been getting married to women and having families forever -- nothing new there. Which is one of the reasons all this is confusing… It *looks* as if we have a choice -- and, to an extent we (at least some of us) do. But NOT in the sense of what we find erotically arousing.

What I'm saying here is you need to think about this more and better.

Ok, understandable that you'd like some recognition from your parents but what, really, do they know about being gay? Probably like most straight people, very little. They don't know and can't imagine how we feel -- what it is like to grow up in a world where your sexual preference is regarded as a perversion. They can't imagine what it would be like to, say, as teenagers, not be able to date the gender they were attracted to -- to know that they might not be able to get legally married and raise a family -- so on and so forth. For your parents "gay" probably just means "sex" (and, who knows what they think about what kind of sex it is.. and how right or wrong their understanding of even *that* is).

So think, you probably began to figure out you were gay some years ago. How did you feel about it? Did you just go, oh, great, no problem? Or did you feel embarrassed, fearful, unsure of yourself, guilty -- I don't know what but anything other than just fine? Most likely you did. So it took you time to accept yourself. Moreover you're STILL learning what it means, right? I don't know, maybe you've had some erotic or sexual experiences -- but even if you have, that is still a long way from living, BEING, an adult gay man with his own gay life. I don't know your situation but my guess is you won't really have that for yourself until you're older, when you've finished college (if you're going), when you are no longer living with your parents (if you still are), and so on. IOW, probably not till your mid to late 20s.

Yeah, we all want to be loved and accepted and respected and recognized for who and what we are -- especially by our parents who, to us, are the bed-rock foundation of our world. They have nurtured us and loved us (or tried to) and got us to this point in life. Now we want that relationship to go on, only on a new, more adult level.

Well…. first of all, that doesn't always happen and that's a fact of life many gay people have to face. It varies a lot. The fact your parents are religious means that their religion and their understanding of it is very likely more important to them than your sexuality. They may love you or think they do or say they do but when it comes right down to it, from their POV, what is at stake is their "immortal souls" (or some such). From that angle, they can't just willy-nilly chuck their religion and say, oh well, not a problem, our son is gay, no BFD.

See what I mean? It is going to take time, probably years -- if ever, for them to come to terms with it. AND… a lot of it will depend on how YOU handle it. You can and will have your own life with your own boy friends and eventually partners and relationships. Whether or not your parents accept that or want to see you and your partners as "family" -- well, that's a huge thing for them. They may or may not be able to "get there" in terms of their own thinking and feeling.

BUT… what matters is where YOU are about it, not them. Seriously. If you are good with yourself, free of fear and guilt, liking to have (perhaps) but not NEEDING their approval to live your life… If you have a partner you love and who obviously loves you back and the two of you build a relationship that is rock solid -- because you are both solid people -- well, then, there is the possibility your parents will come around. They'll SEE that you ARE "gay" -- and see what that really means. They'll see that just like heterosexuality, it isn't just about sex, it's about love and commitment and family.

Am I making sense here? What I'm saying is you need to start growing up and accepting that your parents aren't what your life is about anymore. They may or may not continue to be a big part of your life -- but what your life is going to be about is YOU and whom YOU love. This happens as well with straight children. Often times parents don't even begin to see their children as adults until a) they are married and b) they have children of their own. This is pretty much common knowledge. IOW, you need to become responsible adult -- in your case, a responsible gay man -- THEN, perhaps, your parents will begin to see you for who you really are.

I see some promise in your response, ChiBi. You see, you do have some plans and ideas.

Keep pushing to transfer to a new school and take the plunge and check out the possibility of living with some other young adults off campus....either homos or homo friendly.

I understand that you may be introverted and that it will be a challenge at first to meet others outside your comfort zone. Start with study or special interest groups maybe.....or find someplace to volunteer some of your talents where you can interact with some others your own age.

But I do think that you really should talk to your doctor about your depression or anxiety. In the meantime, I'll repeat my mantra for optimizing your own mental health....it can't cure a mental health issue, but it can make you feel a world better.

1. No more processed salty or sweet garbage food. Get the msg out of your diet completely.
2. No High fructose corn syrup. Give up the sodas and the sugary juices.
3. Unplug by 10pm at night. And then decompress for an hour by reading a book without music or other noise. Regularize your bedtime schedule. If you wake up in the night....no electronic devices...just resist the urge to do this.
4. Get some regular exercise every day. Even a 1/2 hour walk is better than nothing.
5. If you feel overwhelmed, make lists of the challenges and then what you could do to address the issues. solve the solvable problems first.
6. If you need to talk about questions or issues you have with being a homo, connect with other gay guys...like you have here....you have an outlet that I didn't even dream would exist when I was young.
7. Find a hobby that allows you those zen like moments of losing yourself in the task. Everyone has something that they have a passion for....something creative is great, but I've spent many calming hours doing historical research, gardening, building stone walls, cooking and baking.....just anything that has a productive result but requires focus and often, repetitive tasks. I had a friend who when they felt a depressive funk coming on...would do a jigsaw puzzle or crosswords just to take themselves out of their own head sometimes.
8. Oh and no recreational drugs or booze if they might possibly be a trigger for bi-polar episodes.

And, of course....walk away from arguments about your sexuality or topics like 'the gay agenda', which, by the way, would be all about making everything more fabulous.