Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The catholic church
Or perhaps we would have had a real reformation, not the C of E.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

What's wrong with the Anglicans?? They're a lovely lot, generally. None of that hellfire and sulphur and punishment oriented nastiness of Catholicism...

I, for one, have MUCH more of a problem with Evangelicals.

Oh, and has anyone noticed how evangelist is an anagram of 'evil's agent'??

Some religions move foward but others stay in the Dark Ages.

Through out history people have moved to different lands to follow their beliefs and stop being persecuted by religion. Where can we go, space,the final frontier perhaps?

The Vatican are investigating a plan to convert ETs into catholics, now thats scary. I know they think that God created all life, so even space will have a Catholic bishop.

What's wrong with the Anglicans?? They're a lovely lot, generally. None of that hellfire and sulphur and punishment oriented nastiness of Catholicism... (Sox)

Absolutely and they make such nice cakes, don't they? I will sell my soul for a nice cake any day.

peterinmalaga Wrote:What's wrong with the Anglicans?? They're a lovely lot, generally.

They are indeed lovely, but they aren't half wishy-washy. My father was Christened Church of Scotland, my mother a Methodist, I was Christened C of E because it was a convenient church, and the C of E is just fine with that rationale.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

[COLOR="Purple"]I was brought up Seventh Day Adventist but fell out of the faith around the fifth grade after seeing all the hypocrisy.

I attended a couple Catholic weddings/funerals and they were kinda scary but you seemed to get a lot of exercise with all the ups and downs.

Now what was the question :redface: [/COLOR]

fredv3b Wrote:In a free country Catholics who don't like the Pope's policies can leave the church, even set up their own.
Except if the free country is Germany they get charged, so it's not really free ... or maybe I'm just confused Wink

Quote:Except if the free country is Germany they get charged, so it's not really free ... or maybe I'm just confused Wink

In the land of the Free, ths USA, the UTAH STATE religion does charge. A 10% management fee I believe.

Rychard the Lionheart Wrote:In the land of the Free, ths USA, the UTAH STATE religion does charge. A 10% management fee I believe.
If only ...
Tithing = 10% of gross income (even on the kids' pocket money or on benefits)
Fast offering = the equivalent or more of what one would normally spend on two meals for the family once a month
Ward or Branch budget = an amount determined by negotiation
Missionary fund = what you can afford to offer (not "compulsory" unless one has children on a mission when the amount depends on the cost of living in the country to which they have been sent)
Any other special appeals for more money as deemed appropriate.

Since it is about 35 years since I was a paying member of the LDS church I may have forgotten a few Wink

I thought that paying protection money to another person or organisation was illegal in the USA, also only the government could extract taxes from the people. Or am I in error here?