Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The relationship over the pet?
I'm not going to get into an argument with you. You seem particularly emotional about this topic. But I'm sorry, my boyfriend is my #1 priority in my life. He's more important to me than my family; more important to me than my friends; more important to me than my job. All of those things will be still be here in 10 years--or so I hope. But his dog will not. His dog will be dead. I would like to have the same level of recognition as I give him. I will be here in 10 years; 20 years--or more, I hope.

I cannon't take you seriously after the "My Boyfriend is my number one priority" statement.

Obviously that animals means alot to your boyfriend and it seems as if you don't care for what makes him happy, it's only about what makes you happy. Maybe try interacting with him and the dog. maybe try to experience the joy of actually loving an animal and having a great time with your boyfriend.

Perhaps he seems to be choosing the dog over you because he knows your viewpoints and senses your resentment? Have you made an attempt to bond with the dog? If he can tell you don't understand the relationship he has with his dog I would be surprised that there wouldn't be some sort of conflict.

i don't see why the dog having a shorter lifespan than a human is relevant ~

Anonymous Wrote:All of those things will be still be here in 10 years--or so I hope. But his dog will not. His dog will be dead. I would like to have the same level of recognition as I give him. I will be here in 10 years; 20 years--or more, I hope.

you should definitely tell your boyfriend that . you know , just go up to him and be like "well , your dog is gonna die soon so you might as well love me more."

Personally I think you are a selfish, uncaring idiot, of the type I donate money to the RSPCA to keep an eye on, no offence. Wink

my bf wants me to get rid of my dog of 7years.
i see my dog as family and i must say.. would find it very hard to give him away. but that doesnt mean i dont love my bf, nor dos it mean i choose him over my bf.
i just couldnt trust anyone to love my dog and care like i do.
id regret giving him away and would regret it for life.

Would you be happy making your bf give up something he doesnt want too?
I believe we call that controling. it will only ever end badly Sad

I never once considered asking my boyfriend to give up his dog.This entire thread is an emotional overreaction to my request for some perspective from someone who felt like a DOG was the most important member of the relationship. Sorry I asked. Just forget it. Apparently every homosexual is a pet owner.

Headscratch

Anonymous Wrote:Well this isn't exactly the direction I thought the thread would go, but it's not a big deal. I see the common theme in everyone's passionate responses. Unfortunately, not one person responded who has the experience of being in a relationship where the pet seemed to take precedence. I never considered for one second making an ultimatum like, "me or the pet". It was only the sense of having a lower rank than the damn dog. But that's ok. I just want to be clear that even if I don't care for pet OWNERship that in no way, shape or form makes me cruel to animals or endorse any cruelty towards animals. The discussion is ended for all I care.

What better advice are you going to get other than DEAL with your jealousy and possessiveness?

Seriously, you have the problem, not your partner and certainly not his pet, but you seem to be so blinded by jealousy that your only focus is that 'damned dog'...your obssession begs the question, are you in a relationship with the dog?

You made some comments that are quite....umm....well a bit cold or offensive in the minds of pet owners in regards to how you feel about pets and you haven't really given any detail about what he does that makes you feel inferior in the relationship so all we can give is general answers about why he might be doing it and why some of the thing you say about pets can strike up emotional responses. If you explained the situation in more detail it might gives us something better to work off of.

Otherwise you might be better off just talking to your boyfriend about it.