Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things move at school?
princealbertofb Wrote:Thanks Sweetlad, but I fear some people won't be able to watch that link (like me) for they will be barred from seeing it for local tv rights. It looked interesting.

Oh I forgot about that, sorry mate.

I'll put up what is said about it on 4oD.

"First Cut presents film-maker Hannah Murphy's sensitive and poignant portrayal of what life can be like for disabled people in Britain.

Adults with disabilities speak out about their experiences of hate crime and question a society that continues to do nothing to protect them.

Public attention was drawn to the issue of disability hate crime after the tragedy of Fiona Pilkington, a mother who killed herself and her disabled daughter in October 2007, after a decade of abuse from local teenagers and no help from the authorities. It was said that the Pilkington case had provided a watershed moment to move disability hate crime up the public agenda, yet more often than not the voices of those who are persecuted because of their disability go unheard.

From low-level bullying through to violent assault and murder, many of the people in this film have been victimised their whole lives. First Cut travels across Britain to make their moving yet disturbing stories known".

Taken from http://www.channel4.com/programmes/stick.../episode-1

yes get angery!! if peple was nasty w.was you angery prinscealberto.more sad

sighs i dont like to be judgemental but i think all muslims dont like the gays because all they talk about is ways of how they kill them i remember one time at a job corp program that i went to this roomate who was a muslim had watched family guy and it was the episode where lois didnt accept gays at first but then she realized they were just like us as soon as that happened he got really pissed of and he said i hate gays man they need to go to hell and this is what he said to me dead in my face.
you know what muslims does to gays we stick iron pipes through their butt holes till they die
although i did not tell him i was bi he scared the shit out of me and if he knew i was bi he probably would of told my other roomates and ive would of gotten the beatdown of my life thankfully ive been done with that program.

luckily for you however im glad your teacher stuck up and said something cause normally teachers dont do that

joseph Wrote:yes get angery!! if peple was nasty w.was you angery prinscealberto.more sad

No I wasn't angry, and I had no reason to get angry. I was just surprised of the good reaction of some of the students concerning sexual orientation and the right to be who you are without being treated in a hostile fashion.

That sounds like the position of clergy in the Church of England who can enter into a civil partnership as long as they don't consummate their marriage. Utterly barmy!

I have read some of this extreme Republican stuff. Surely it doesn't stand any chance of getting passed into law? Please reassure me that people are not so stupid!

Back to the main question, I can't see any position the state can take that could ensure fair treatment for all other than a secular one ... but then I guess I would say that.

I agree. I know we have the issue of freedom of speech, and I understand that in the US this is very much protected so that you can say whatever you want. However, I am proud to live in a Europe where we generally don't tolerate nasty hateful comments. Of course, we should protect people's ability to express opinions, but with freedom come responsibility. The responsibility here was to express his phobia as an opinion and not as an hateful incitement of torture.

At the same time, it's a good thing that people express such hateful opinions as it allows us to challenge their logic. If I were in your position I would come out, as it would challenge his stereotypes. Typically gays in African societies literally live on the fringes, in derelict shanties as it's the only place they can live in relative safety. It's awful. At university I made many friends with some quite religious Muslims. I never hid my sexuality, although they didn't guess, and when one day I wrote something very gay on my FB wall, they realised. It challenged their opinions about homosexuality, one of them even saying of "course it's nature". Another was an ex-extremist, heavily religious but our friendship wasn't affected at all.

Similarly at university I was warmed by the overwhelming warmth of students who were ready to spring to the defence of gay people. IMO, if you show anger scum take advantage of this. I've never been attacked for being gay, even though I've been harassed in the streets, whilst drunk and trying not to vomit, and so I threatened to throw up on them if they came near me. Statistically the UK has got worse, supposedly right wingers are having a silent revolt at what they perceive are sudden social changes, e.g. civil unions.

Sometimes I feel Europe, and individual member states of the EU, have bent over too much to "tolerate" alternative ideologies. People have a right to live the way they like, so long as it fits with our moral code. We shouldn't make concessions on this, people fought very hard for things like women's rights and gay rights. Those things became enshrined in law over decades of debate and court cases, let's not throw that away in the name of accepting other cultures. No thanks, whilst in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I personally believe that this sort of hatred is born from a fundamentalist or radical faction of any religion. Religion has been corrupted through the age of times by peoples misinterpretations...Just look at Fred Phelps as a good example, taking the word of the bible to the extreme.

Go back to early years, like 2000 years ago, not only were homsexuals accepted, homosexual acts were encouraged as character building, a form of population control amongst other things.

Religion hasn't changed, it's the interpretation of religion that has changed and radical views have formed and this student is evidence of that, and this attitude isn't unique to muslims/islam as the example of Fred Phelps above proves.