Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you class mild depression as a medical circumstance?
Just want to know, as a friend of mine is puzzled on how to go about claiming special circumstances for her University degree.

Depression in Japan isn't treated as well as it is over here, and is often disregarded. I want to know your opinion.

I think it is, but im not sure.

only a medical professional can diagnose even a mild case of depression...btw, there is still a stigma with mental health disorders wherever you go

i think while of course depression is a genuine condition, thats not to say you cant just be deeply unhappy & anxious about your life and life in general, i think we should concentrate more on root causes and outside influences rather than just surpressing the symptons or making yourself dopey

It can be. If you get sick, for example, you can get depressed. Certain foods might make you mildly depressed as well as improve mood. And some depend on the person, like alcohol makes some depressed while having a different reaction on others. This strikes me as biochemical in nature and therefore medical...though I don't think medication is appropriate in any of these cases if that was what was meant (especially as I think meds do more harm than good more often than not, especially in the long term).

There are many social and emotional reasons as well such as grief, a lot of change, loss of friend or friends, being around jerks too often...these aren't medical though they do cause biochemical reactions. I don't think medication is appropriate here either though different types of therapy can be useful (not necessarily anything you have to see a professional over either).

In all these cases the depression is a symptom and not the diagnosis. Pharmacist companies hate this and so do psychiatrists and the like who find meds easy and pretty sure they get kick backs or other benefits for prescribing them.

I'm open to the idea that there are genetic factors or perhaps possible brain damage or other injury that create an "innate depression" rather just a symptom of a different problem, but it wouldn't be the first thing I'd assume to be the case. Medication might be worth the side effects and other dangers in this case (though not sure about "mild") if carefully and constantly monitored.

my question is more of, if you are suffering from it, would you say something or would you try your best to overcome it on your own?

Drewsdad Wrote:all depends on how much of an impact it has on her life and whether you feel comfortable or not by sharing that information, what sort of response does she think she might get ? does she think she might gain something from sharing or might it make things more difficult?

she thinks it might help, but she doesn't want it to make her look weak etc

Depends on which symptoms are present and how much the depression affects the patient's ability to live/do whatever it is the patient does. "Medical/Special Circumstances" is being applied to what/used how in University?

Analogy:

Mild depression can be compared to a stubbed toe. Annoying, yes, and it might slow you down in some cases. You mayn't want to run the 20K, but are very capable of sitting in the office cubical and doing whatever mind numbing, soul crushing paperwork the corporation does. Technically a stubbed toe is a 'special circumstance' Practically it can be nothing at all to a whole game changer depending on how it affects your ability to do _________(fill in the blank). At the office in a chair, not very important, marathon runner very important.

Now would I personally class Mild Depression as a Special Circumstance: No I wouldn't - but I have S.A.D. and have deep to very deep (even suicidal) melancholia to high to 'oh my god he is fucking insane!' hypo-mania and I have managed quite well to run my marathons in life and win all the time.... ummm, most of the time... well half the time... OK some of the time....Wink

As very one else has said, get a doctor - Therapy more often works on cases of mild depression than the drugs they throw at people. A therapist can give her tools to manage the symptoms and to work her way through life which is akin to a person having their foot cut off and getting a prosthetic (Borg technologies). While they no longer have that foot, they have the tools to work with what they have, to manage that lack and go on to winning marathons and committing murder.

miimo Wrote:she thinks it might help, but she doesn't want it to make her look weak etc

If it begins to cause problems in her daily life (missing classes or work), OR if it lasts for hours every day for two weeks or more, it's a medical problem. In that case, your friend MUST get help before it gets worse.

miimo Wrote:my question is more of, if you are suffering from it, would you say something or would you try your best to overcome it on your own?

Overcome it on my own. I always do.

But my answer might be different if it were a constant factor that lingered no matter what I did (though I must say I've known plenty who would say that applies to them and yet their life is so messed up that I think their depression is perfectly natural and they need to change their life rather than pop a pill).

What is she after? Does she think depression is going to hurt her performance, I mean any more than all the other anxieties, grief, stress, and such that everyone else going to school has? If not then there's no reason to mention it. But if so then the next question is what is she going to do after college? Unless she's going simply to learn (or even distract herself) then what good is it? Might as well get on disability now and go to the library instead of university, you can learn that way as well without the depression-causing debt for a degree you can't use anyway.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Depends on which symptoms are present and how much the depression affects the patient's ability to live/do whatever it is the patient does. "Medical/Special Circumstances" is being applied to what/used how in University?

Analogy:

Mild depression can be compared to a stubbed toe. Annoying, yes, and it might slow you down in some cases. You mayn't want to run the 20K, but are very capable of sitting in the office cubical and doing whatever mind numbing, soul crushing paperwork the corporation does. Technically a stubbed toe is a 'special circumstance' Practically it can be nothing at all to a whole game changer depending on how it affects your ability to do _________(fill in the blank). At the office in a chair, not very important, marathon runner very important.

Now would I personally class Mild Depression as a Special Circumstance: No I wouldn't - but I have S.A.D. and have deep to very deep (even suicidal) melancholia to high to 'oh my god he is fucking insane!' hypo-mania and I have managed quite well to run my marathons in life and win all the time.... ummm, most of the time... well half the time... OK some of the time....Wink

As very one else has said, get a doctor - Therapy more often works on cases of mild depression than the drugs they throw at people. A therapist can give her tools to manage the symptoms and to work her way through life which is akin to a person having their foot cut off and getting a prosthetic (Borg technologies). While they no longer have that foot, they have the tools to work with what they have, to manage that lack and go on to winning marathons and committing murder.
I totally agree, but I also have another opinion, not mine.
Mild Depression is apparently one of the most desease of this century, but is also true that a lot of people not really depressed use it as an excuse to be lazy...

So, if your friend is depressed I think she doesn't underestimate the problem, she need to see a doctor and fight her problem with some kind of psychotherapy. Medicines are only a drug, something to use to fake...
------------------------
EDIT:
dfiant1 Wrote:these days 'a little bit sad' is now classed as 'mild depression' .
A little rude but it's true. Not always, but...