Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
social advice.
hank Wrote:I am in a police academy and we are taking about multiculturalism and how to be respectful of things which you are biased against. In this I am supposed to discuss a time I was discriminated against I thought of about fifty instances involving my sexuality. I am out mostly, i don't run around introducing myself as hank the bisexual guy, but I am wondering if this is the next level of being out. Or if I should pick another point to discuss.

Thoughts?

OH DADDY!!! You're going to be a policeman?

HOLY SHIT! I dont think you will have any problems finding men!!!!
LMAO

As for your dilemma, well....it could be your next step in evolving into the man you want to become.

You might try doing it like I do......if its a talked about subject, I will talk about it, and even use myself as an example if needed....I just talk as if its an "everyday" thing. Which it is. Who you prefer to date isnt anyones concern but yours.

If you want to talk about yourself to others in this fashion, then go for it. Just act like its just another conversation.

But thats up to you.

Do you have a uniform yet????

We better get a picture of you in it!!!!
Flirty-wink-smiley

hank Wrote:Well its a police academy full of men, several gay jokes and even a bisexual joke or two was tossed around, students laughed, but I am not sure. I Haven't come out to many people that I don't know and I am a bit scared about it. Not sure how it will be received, but I don't want to be a closet case the while time I am in this career. On the other hand I do not want to be viewed as a freak either by people I may need.

A good man is deemed so by the deeds he does.
If you work hard and become an officer of the people, and do right.....it wont matter what they think of you dating men. All they will know is that you're someone who they can trust to watch their backs in a crisis.

I will say this for most southern made men.....
Regardless of who you prefer to date, or if you are a "weirdo" or "freak", they respect those who are trustworthy, hard workers, and honest.

You might also look at it this way.....if they come into some situations that involve gay couples, you would probably the most likely candidate to take lead in handling it. Which would be a good thing for the civilians involved, whether they know that or not.

hank Wrote:... Or if I should pick another point to discuss.
not the time place so get through school first.

MisterTinkles Wrote:OH DADDY!!! You're going to be a policeman?

HOLY SHIT! I dont think you will have any problems finding men!!!!
LMAO

As for your dilemma, well....it could be your next step in evolving into the man you want to become.

You might try doing it like I do......if its a talked about subject, I will talk about it, and even use myself as an example if needed....I just talk as if its an "everyday" thing. Which it is. Who you prefer to date isnt anyones concern but yours.

If you want to talk about yourself to others in this fashion, then go for it. Just act like its just another conversation.

But thats up to you.

Do you have a uniform yet????

We better get a picture of you in it!!!!
Flirty-wink-smiley

I am a cadet i will not have a uniform for several months. But the academy is very rigorous and i will likely be very proud of my body when I receive a uniform. So yes many pictures Wink

hank Wrote:I am in a police academy and we are taking about multiculturalism and how to be respectful of things which you are biased against. In this I am supposed to discuss a time I was discriminated against I thought of about fifty instances involving my sexuality. I am out mostly, i don't run around introducing myself as hank the bisexual guy, but I am wondering if this is the next level of being out. Or if I should pick another point to discuss.

Thoughts?

I really being Protect and Serve is the Truth. You are a cop, and nothing else matters. Some of us are queens, and some of us fufill certain roles. And I think that is what you need to do. Being a cop is not gay or straight. Like Copper on Southland, it is a job, and it is a job you do well.

I think if you have to ask then you are not ready to give up this info at the drop of a hat.

It's not an AA meeting, give them something else and save the deep and meaningfulls for one on ones or when you feel you can share this stuff without a 2nd thought.

Just because you don't want to say I'm gay in every situation, doesn't mean you are ashamed of it.

It's a class, I doubt they want you to give something that is so close to you, would be different if it wasn't so raw, you need to pick your times when you let people in.

I pissed the bed when I was young but I'm not standing up in class and telling a bunch of blokes (I didn't but you get the point LOL)

I would keep it to myself in such a large group.

Its not that I'm ashamed of being gay, its just that the topic is still one that can get very bad reactions. Been on the receiving end of 'bad tempers' enough times in my life to know that its not 'worth' it.

I don't necessarily hide the fact I'm gay... I don't take out a page in the local newspaper either. The people that 'need' to know can figure it out... Or if they ask (nicely) I may tell them.

In this situation there is the whole 'discrimination' aspect which might make it ok to discuss - this isn't actually you 'coming out' this is you replying to a question in a honest way. However you are dealing with a group of individual who are, I assume, predominately 'straight'.

I would have to weigh the situation very carefully and consider how comfortable I am with this group of individuals.

I would assume the instructor is leading up to anti-discrimination in the police department and is trained (at the very least) to tolerate LGBT. how comfortable are you with this instructor?

Would you be comfortable pulling the instructor to the side and telling him/her that 'I get discriminated for bisexuality.'? If so, bring it up privately first and see what the instructor things you should do.

I actually did go through with the assignment, it payed off, that surprised me, personally straight male class several of my class mates said they had respect for me for saying such things without fear. Don't have to walk on egg shells any more.

hank Wrote:I actually did go through with the assignment, it payed off, that surprised me, personally straight male class several of my class mates said they had respect for me for saying such things without fear. Don't have to walk on egg shells any more.

That's wonderful. I'm very happy for you Hank.

I would probably wait till you prove yourself to be a good officer, after that maybe, another thing to think about is would the capt. use you to deal with the gay issues police face putting you into a whole nother situation, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]