Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a relationship? A rhetorical question.
You meet someone, you may think nothing of the future or you may plan on dating the same person so as long as the feelings are mutual.

You go on dates almost weekly, sometimes doing the same thing because it works. It's not entirely routine, but it doesn't suck. It's fun.

You may end up sleeping together for a night on the third/forth/fifth date because the movie you watched on Netflix in his apartment ran for three hours and you're too tired to drive back home.

And sometimes after nearly two months of dating, and four months of having known each other, you reach some sort of point. I can't identify what this is, other than "what if?" and "what's next?"

And then there's people I know personally who've been together for eight years since high school, have tried breaking up numerous times and they're finally reaching that breaking point where it's become a steaming pile of mess and stress, guilt trips and ultimatums.

I ask "what is a relationship" because it seems in today's busy socially active world, the key meaning of a relationship - something akin to what I read as being synonymous with the buddy system - is lost. If I'm not mistaken, a relationship is not about one, but two.

And if you're like me, you wonder where it's going after two months...because you haven't the experience to really see what it's like when it lasts. And if you're like my close friends, you begin to question what's next after eight years with little progress.

What is a relationship these days?

I've heard of two people being best friends with an intimate side that's full blown commitment.
I've heard of two people just being together because it works.
I've heard of two people hooking up off and on for months at a time before things start getting more personal and intimate.
I've heard of people being friends for a long time and then everything changes.

And I've heard that being in a relationship in the very early stages can make that euphoric feeling seem never-ending, and in the later stages, it's just a smooth calm sea of trust and understanding.

Just some food for thought I guess. I've had this question broiling in my mind for a couple weeks now, and I'm just curious what everyone else has to say about the subject. What is a relationship?

Messages In This Thread
What is a relationship? A rhetorical question. - by Anonymous - 05-12-2016, 06:07 AM
What is a relationship? A rhetorical question. - by Jake - 05-12-2016, 06:40 PM
What is a relationship? A rhetorical question. - by strider65 - 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM
What is a relationship? A rhetorical question. - by strider65 - 06-05-2016, 07:10 AM