Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having trouble meeting people on scruff/grindr/online?
Hey Smile

I've been using hookup and dating apps like Grindr and Scruff for a couple months now and have had little to no success connecting with people for anything; dating, friendships, hookups, nada. And I'm not really sure why.

It could be my profile, but it seems fine to me. It's dutifully filled out with a couple witticisms sprinkled here and there. I indicate interest in everything from hookups to chat-only to friendships. I use a good, clear face pic for my profile and I'm like 80% sure I'm somewhat attractive. I mean I'm aware I'm not a 10 but a solid 6-7 at least. So why don't get I many hits? Why don't many people message me or respond to my messages?

I know the issue not a lack of users; I live in NYC. Tons of gays here. Maybe it's just my approach; I've tried a handful of different ones when first messaging someone...

Quote:-complimenting them, either on their profile or their pic.

-latching on to something memorable or unique in their profile; a joke they made or some other detail. If they identify as a geek I might ask "hey so what kind of geek are you Wink" for example.

-leading with an absurd and completely out of place factoid so bizarre it will at least gets their attention, like "Did you know that flatworms, being asexual, reproduce through a mating ritual called 'penis fencing' where the two mates attempt to stab one another with their phallus? The loser becomes pregnant Big Grin"

-Simply saying "Hey, how's it going?"

None of these approaches have really gotten me anywhere though. Maybe I'm just not direct enough? Like I should just message people "looking?" and "into?".

I wouldn't really care so much or put much energy into these apps if I was socializing more outside of them. But right now, between my age, being out of college, and my work schedule; my circumstances are really non-conducive to most avenues of socialization. Apps are really all I have time for atm.

Idk, anyone have any suggestions or input? It'd be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Having trouble meeting people on scruff/grindr/online? - by Monkey - 03-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Having trouble meeting people on scruff/grindr/online? - by starlight - 03-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Having trouble meeting people on scruff/grindr/online? - by starlight - 03-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Having trouble meeting people on scruff/grindr/online? - by subdivisions - 03-20-2016, 07:30 AM