Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling the truth or keeping it to yourself?
This somehow struck a chord... The people talking in this video stress how important it is for families to show support for their gay children... nothing really new here, but this idea that "once bitten, twice shy" struck a chord with me, as I still find it difficult to be completely open about my own sexuality in society.
See what you think. Does this resonate with your experience of growing up, and coming out (or hesitating about it)?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24...ref=topbar

Gay men and Lesbian women who have had the experience with the opposite sex may be wondering if that's all there is...

Why do people insist on being a part of a community that resists acceptance based on an 'interpretation' of what may or may not have been said 2000 years ago? If you are being rejected because of something that you aren't, then move on to something that accepts you as a whole.

As for the video, it's always interesting to hear other people say what most of us have always known, like realising your sexuality as part of the process of puberty as my sexuality became very apparent when I was barely in my double digits and I would say I was as young as 8 when I started 'crushing' (Non sexually) on boys.

Videos like that need to be put out there especially for pre-teens and teens to access and realise 'Hey, This is normal' and no feel so weird or dejected that they aren't going through the same things their peers are going through.

princealbertofb Wrote:Gay men and Lesbian women who have had the experience with the opposite sex may be wondering if that's all there is...

everyone sees something different:
-the gay who has been with his or her partner for 10+years may not even think something's different.
-the HS student seeing same sex partners holding hands in public might take a second look and for good or bad draw a whole new chapter in their life.

families supporting their gay children
-maybe one or more of the parents feel un comfortable with their sexuality but found them selves in a straight marriage with children. They are homophobic. They are marginally unable to raise a family. they need the narrow guide lines of religion.
-Some babies are colic and cry all the time, other babies smile all the time. some children are 98% complaint and some are only 66% complaint. The lesser complaint children could have tested the parents a lot and have reduced the parents ability to believe in the child. Raising a child is a team effort, parents and the child. What to do if your already way over your head and you find out he or she is gay. I would say thank the gods the child made the right choiceCool

for myself
-i am not gay, straight or bi. I am committed to my partner as i love my self.
-I cant understand parents that are not 101% supportive of their children just because they are gay. Who do they expect to take over for the parents. The child cant because its still the child. Let things flay in the wind and go where ever. These parents are less than dogs.

Agree with you Daz, which is why I published the video on this site for others to see.

pellaz Wrote:-I cant understand parents that are not 101% supportive of their children just because they are gay. Who do they expect to take over for the parents. The child cant because its still the child. Let things flay in the wind and go where ever. These parents are less than dogs.

Unfortunately, I have these parents and agree 101% with you.

telling the truth is not an option if the audience cant understand.

the song that Chely Wright kept from her producer for so long, it was "too gay"!

I think it's nonsensical how many gays try to embrace fundamentalist Christianity and wish they wouldn't try, it's like watching blacks trying to be accepted by the KKK to me, sad and futile. They'll never be accepted anymore than neo-nazis accept gays who try to include themselves as kindred spirits. If one must be a Christian then there are gay friendly sects that one can transfer to or one should feel free to invent a new sect (just as so many others have done).

As for me personally...the only one I've come all the way out to (though I think many suspect now) is my granny...and what I felt from her was guilt. She messed up raising her kids and I believe she wanted to make it up by doing a better job with her grand kids, especially Zack and me, but neither one of us turned out "perfect." In my case I was close in her book, but she was upset when I told her I was gay. It wasn't her Christian beliefs that upset her either, it was more she felt I'd been "damaged" by what happened with my 'rents and on the streets and so she felt as if she failed to protect me and as a result I had been twisted into a lesbian (rather than born one) and as a result I wouldn't (so she believes) ever have children and thus the perfect life she had imagined for me just wasn't going to be (and she worried about the intolerance, hate, and even violence I would likely face, especially if I moved back to the East Texas Bible Belt). I think she adjusted, but sometimes I suspect it's like "adjusting" to a grandchild living with an artificial limb after having lost the real one. I think it would be easier for me to deal with if she blamed me for it rather than herself.

I still haven't told the 'rents, but then we were never close. I guess not caring has a silver lining as even though I couldn't expect them to be supportive of me (which they never were in the first place) I don't think they'd care enough to hate me.

As for sharing music vids, I'd like to share one of my favorite YT vids featuring a song ("She") by an actual lesbian (btw, she does another song called "I didn't just kiss her" which really mocked Katy Perry's song Roflmao ) with some of the most beautiful lyrics, IMO:

Lyrics:

Quote:I've heard it said so many times
Love is blind
So, why are you staring?
You say that love is all we need, well
Does that apply to me?
'cause I have found someone
That I think is beautiful
And I have fallen in love
And I'm telling you,
She means everything to me
She makes me feel nothing else matters,
Not even what the world thinks of me.

They told me when I was a little girl
"love's a pearl,
You're lucky if you find it"
So, share that precious beauty with the world.
Now, suddenly they say I've got to hide it,
But I have found true love
And there is nothing you can do.
Just try and stop me, just try and stop us,
Good luck to you!
'cause she
Means everything to me, she
Makes me feel nothing else matters,
Not even what the world thinks of me.

It's simple as can be
I love her, she loves me!
This is what everybody dreams of,
There's nothing to be afraid of
There's nothing to be afraid of
After all, it's only love...

I think it's nonsensical how many gays try to embrace fundamentalist Christianity and wish they wouldn't try, it's like watching blacks trying to be accepted by the KKK to me, sad and futile.

Perfectly stated and my thoughts exactly. I am glad you summed it up because I started a long response basically saying the same thing and deleted it.