Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
something was said today..
hey there.
i know i am new but i was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how the dealt with it.
today at uni i saw a poster that was advertising the film Boys dont Cry and i told the two lads i was with what it was about and one of them said in a very rude manner "i dont care".
Now i was unbeliviablly shocked at what had just been said and he wasnt at all bothered about what he had said and how he had upset me.
This guy constinatly says that he is not against people that are gay or anything but he is contantly slatting me for being gay. and its not as though he is like 15 or 16, he is 22.
im sorry to rant like this but it really has upset me and i dont know what else to do about it.
anyone who could suggest something, it would really mean alot!
xox

I'm sorry - I live under a rock when I'm not on GS ... what's the film about please ?

That'll give me (and anybody else in my situation) a bit more to work with ... xx

Tanks luv !

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Shadow Wrote:I'm sorry - I live under a rock when I'm not on GS ... what's the film about please ?

As if you don't know!
It's a true story about a guy who was born into the body of a woman. The film deals with him trying to live his life, with a crime filled past, and a unknowing girlfriend. If memory serves lol.

Very sad film apparently, but I've never seen it...

Oh Shadow, it's about this girl who looks like a boy and goes on a trip (it's a sort of road movie) in the middle west (if I remember correctly). She looks like a boy, dresses like a boy, and mainly acts like a boy, but she's a lesbian and when the rough boys find out, they do nasty things to her... (do they kill her, Laura? I don't remember except that it was moving.) The title refers to this stupid idea that men are not supposed to be fragile or show their feelings, or have emotions and certainly don't cry. Well, this young lass does, of course, since she's a woman, inside the rather odd shell. I'm trying to remember the name of the actress, but my favourite IMDB would provide that answer. Hilary Swank???

Wilem Wrote:As if you don't know!
It's a true story about a guy who was born into the body of a woman. The film deals with him trying to live his life, with a crime filled past, and a unknowing girlfriend. If memory serves lol.

Very sad film apparently, but I've never seen it...

Weird, it almost sounds as if we're talking of a different film... but I guess you're right, it's about a guy trapped in a woman's body... or about transgendering...

Yeah my description was much more word-of-mouthish Laugh1

Hi lauram340, welcome to GaySpeak.

Sorry you were upset by your experience. There's not really enough information in your message to make any useful suggestions, but perhaps I might offer one or two thoughts. First of all, the film is pretty harrowing stuff. Some people feel very uncomfortable having their emotions stirred up in such a way. Some people try to protect themselves by masking their concerns.

If you feel uncomfortable around these people maybe it's time to find some real friends. You don't need to explain things to real friends. They just seem to know when you need a hug ... even a metaphorical one Wink

Give my regards to Hertford. I went to school there in my 6th form. I recently met a friend from there who has moved up to The Fens Confusedmile:

Hmm, maybe Marshlander is right... Time for a change of scenery?

You dont really say if this lad is a friend or just someone you meet every once in a while.

If he is a friend maybe NOT the most open type even though he says he is.

You dont really say how you explained the film but it is a heart tugger for any human and if this lad didnt show any feelings then I would rather stay clear of him (if that is possilbe) or understand that you cant discuss much with him without your getting upset.

hope that helps a bit
frank

Wilem Wrote:As if you don't know!

Hand on heart I genuinely didn't know :redface:.

But yeah - I'd be inclined to go with Marshlander on this one - perhaps he wasn't dissing the subject matter as much as the genre of the film ?

For example, I'll only watch Schindler's List when I KNOW I want to cry, 'coz that bit at the end when Schindler breaks down makes me want to ball my lil eyes out EVERY TIME ... and I'm not generally weepy in movies like ...

... 'coz I'm WELL 'ard ... :redface:.

HOWEVER, the other aspect of your post - that this lad takes the p!ss outta you for being gay and so on - that's not very friendly, even if he is doing it in a playful way ... so as he's genuinely upsetting you, I see nothing wrong with saying that (which you already have) and, if he continues to do so, cutting him off a bit to demonstrate that you'd rather NOT be in his company if that's all he can be/say/do when he's with you ...

I have a few mates like that as well - they think it's VERY funny taking the biscuit 'coz I'm gay ... and there are times when I let it ride, and times when I think NO F*CK YOU :mad:.

Layeth the smacketh down ... eth.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!