Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay and "Disabled".. can anyone else relate?
Just curious here.. I've mentioned this before, but I'm disabled.. born with a rare birthdefect where my bones are quite weak.. and I'm in a wheelchair. I also happen to be gay (I've known this for as long as I can remember). I find this to be an odd combination.. in the sense that I've never known anyone else with a disability who is also gay. Is there anyone else in a similar situation? Have you found a partner? I find dating hard.. but I see it more as an issue where I live than any thing else. Would be nice to know someone in a similar situation though. It's lonely being single for so long o.O!

Hi Tyrion. I too am disabled and very much gay Big Grin I have multiple sclerosis, diagnosed when I was 17. For more than a year now I have also been in a wheelchair.

Do I think it is impossible to date? No.
Do I think it limits the dating pool? Yes - sadly, a lot of guys see a disabled partner as a nuisance.
Am I currently dating/found a partner? No, but also because of where I live.

I had a boyfriend once, it was before I was ina wheelchair. He accepted my limitations and he knew that I won't be able to join him for outdoor activities. It was because I moved that we broke up, we are still great friends!

I wouldn't rule anyone out of my life just because they have a disability. I don't see either of you as disable, I prefer to see you guys with a different set of challenges.

After all, wheel chair bound guys play one of the most violent sports known to man...Murder Ball.

I wish you both all the best and hope you both find your knight in rainbow coloured armour Wink

Hey guys! I'm also disabled (I think we need to start our own little cool club!) I have cerebral palsy. Mind you not in a wheelchair. I've had a few not so good relationships... they could not deal with the ongoing medical appointments... and decided that bulb things got worst down the road they could not remain in a relationship with me so we ended it. (that happened to me twice). I met my partner (now fiancé) in 2010. He proposed in May of last year. I always thought I would be single and okay with thatched until I met him.

I have Chronic Fatigue and in a wheelchair. I dont think it`s impossible to date. If you think about it there will be plenty of people disabled in this world who would get dates.

I have Cerebral Palsy.

It's certainly not impossible to date.

The limits can get annoying cause a bunch of people don't like the prospect of dating a disabled person.

I have a wife. So......there's good news for you, lol

Mick

I'm not disabled but I wouldn't rule anyone out as a potential partner because of a disability. We had a thread for that a while back and most people seemed to feel the same Smile

I think it is a lot about the disabled person's attitude towards his disability; no one wants to date someone who thinks the world owes him something / negative the whole time / not willing to better himself. so keep your chin up, be positive and do your best.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Spades, I would totally agree, and anyone that really knows me, knows that my disability is something that doesn't really define who I am at all. It's something I rarely even think about, to be honest.. especially since it's always been this way for me. For others though, I feel all they see is the disability.. and that can suck.

The funny thing is though, I've been asked out a handful of times.. a few times recently.. and all by women. That's fine.. for a friendship type of thing.. but...

So yeah, being gay seems to make a difficult situation even more difficult. Nice to see that things can work out though. I generally have a positive attitude, so giving up is never an option for me. I just wish the right guy would hurry up and find me.. haha :p. Plus it's nice to hear from others who can relate.

Spades Wrote:I think it is a lot about the disabled person's attitude towards his disability; no one wants to date someone who thinks the world owes him something / negative the whole time / not willing to better himself. so keep your chin up, be positive and do your best.

I think that negative attitude in general is a turn off, but it seems that a lot of disabled people do adapt a 'Woe for me, world owes me everything.' attitude and that is not an appealing quality in any person.

If you haven't noticed from some of my posts in the past, I have zero tolerance for sympathy seekers and people that think the world owes them something.

What's hot is someone that see's obstacles as a challenge and seeks a way to over come those obstacles, and they are people I will stand beside and urge on and help.

Spades, you have my utmost respect...you're hot Wink

Bighug