Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eating healthy and getting back in shape
So it's come to my attention that I should eat healthier and probably do some exercise. I'm not obese or even really fat (in fact a lot of people say I'm skinny), but I do think there's a lot of room for improvement. I actually used to work out, I started my freshmen year of college. But after I missed a few days because I was sick, I never went back because I just got lazy. I used to have a little bit of a 4-pack, and now it's just flab. Sad
I also think I need to eat healthier too. I'm pretty much the only person in my family who still eats meat, ice cream, frozen waffles, cakes, fast food, and stuff like that. I don't exactly eat vegetables and fruit very much and I pretty much just eat whenever I feel like eating. Sometimes it's one meal a day, sometimes it's three, sometimes it's just random snacks spread out through the day.
Does anyone have any advice on how to motivate yourself to exercise on a regular basis and could anyone share their eating habits. Are there any foods I should absolutely avoid? Any foods that I should make sure to eat regularly?

I have endomorph body and I can easily gain fat. Thus, no matter how I exercise, the muscle hardly shows unless I rid those fats.

This might oppose any health/exercise expert advice.

Fasting. Yes, I fast about 12-16 hours a day, and doing cardio in the morning. While fasting, I do not eat or consume any energy drink or milk, except plain water. It also says that fasting accelerate HGH (human growth hormone) production.

I always envy those with lean body, as they can look better without much effort as I do.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is the method of Shaolin, at least that's what I know.

Well my biggest recommendation is the gym. Seriously. To a lot of people (myself included) the thought of working out with other people is sort of scary. However, once you actually go to a gym you realize that nobody cares about what you're doing at all and instead focus on themselves. Also, I've found there are so many benefits to working out at gyms compared to doing it elsewhere:

1. You can't use bad weather as an excuse to not get some exercise.
2. The cardio machines tell you how many calories you're burning so you know what kind of progress you're making. Admittedly it might be a bad idea to trust the numbers wholeheartedly but still.
3. You've paid good money for a damn gym card and you WILL be using it.

Number 3 seems kind of silly but I've seen it happen many times: people who get motivated to to go the gym merely because they've paid for a certain amount of access. Also, once you get into the training and have kept it going for a few weeks you usually never drop out because it's becoming an increasingly routine-based part of your life.

I personally don't follow a very strict diet. I don't eat snacks and I try to avoid sodas with the exception of one day a week. I do my best to choose healthy food but I'm not all that picky. I eat white bread for example, which isn't very healthy, but given that I exercise every day I feel like I can afford to.

Good luck! Smile

get rid of the junk food in the house. If you can?

blueberries, strawberries, and veggies mixed into a smoothie in a good blender or food processor, general excercise with weights and no weights, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Tony, you answered your own questions!

"Are there any foods I should absolutely avoid?" "ice cream, frozen waffles, cakes, fast food, and stuff like that."

"Any foods that I should make sure to eat regularly?" "vegetables and fruit very much"

Motivation can only come from you. Repeat a behavior -- like working out, exercising, eating well, etc -- for 3 weeks and you will establish a habit and find it much easier to maintain. So commit to 3 weeks and see what happens.

Change your name to TonyAnlentils.

Acai berry is a superfruit, very good for you, and fish is great for digestion.

We trick ourselves into thinking we need certain foods to fill up, when a healthy option will fill you up just as much and not leave you feeling sluggish.

Jacket potatoes, you can get lovely pre-baked frozen jackets now, that you simply pop in the microwave for 5 minutes(no hassle) have some tin mackeral with it and salad, thats a good meal.

I've got the same problem, i want to start to go to the gym from long time ago, but it seems that is never the right time.
I can't do workout at home cause I'm stupid, not able to take my time and space. And the very stupid thing is that I think with my body it will be enough for me too little exercise to be in a better shape, highlight a little of muscles, and maybe more...
So, last week started buying the dress, now i only need to find a cheap pair of shoes and i already watched the programs in some gym around me.

The advice for motivate yourself is that with a better body everything is better, the health, the energy, the self confidence etc...

Exercise is great but a healthy diet is the #1 factor when you're trying to lose weight.

If you want to get some exercise, I recommend you do some research on the subject or get some professional guidance (e.g. a personal trainer). It's a complex science.

There is nothing wrong with eating meat, but it is all in moderation. Learning to cook and love eating veggies is the easiest way to sort out your meals as well.

However, from experience, the best thing that will help out is cutting out all processed food, and simple sugary garbage like sweets and snacks, sodas etc. Don't feel bad about it, there is nothing wrong with enjoying an icecream occasionally. But not to the point where you are eating a massive banana split nightly.

I have the same problem as you in that I rarely eat specific meals. Half the time I'm only eating lunch and dinner. I don't usually feel like eating breakfast. Thankfully while doing that has an effect on your insulin response, there is no proven stats that it changes your metabolism to really effect your weight loss.

But yeah, I just listen to my body, when I'm hungry I eat. Don't eat infront of the TV either, you will just continue munching away past what your body is asking for.

If you have trouble getting veggies into your diet try some 'friendly' foods that will really boost your intake;

1. Soups, roughly blended. Pumpkin is good, but try it with everything and anything. I found that keeping it simple and fresh is best. For example, a good load of broccoli, 1 creamy starchy potato and some herbs blended up makes a fantastic soup. Good with a side of rustic bread.

2. Finger food (especially crunchy). Maybe try some tempura veggies. They can be great. Not the healthiest but tasty for sure.

3. Hidden veggies. For example in burger patties (or even look at completely vegetarian burger patties, they can be great).

If you are a frequent meat eater, people find that eating less without changing their diet makes them less satisfied. Try some lentil/bean recipes, they really fill you up and are a great addition to a lot of meals.