Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Made a huge mistake
So I've been working part-time after school for the past few months. I do lots of different stuff, but it usually relates to assembling/disassembling, controlling and manufacturing locks, hinges and other stuff. I learned everything quickly and have worked in a very dedicated manner throughout my employment. A couple of days ago, however, I made a pretty big mistake. I was working with a model I wasn't too familiar with, but thought everything had gone smoothly anyways.

That was not the reality however, since I got a call from my boss a few days later. Apparently many of the locks had been incorrectly assembled. Because of this, employees from the uhm, "mother-company" I guess, had to come over and fix everything. The company lost valuable money and time. I've never made a mistake worthy of mentioning before, so this is causing extreme levels of angst for me. My colleagues are acting pretty cold towards me, and my bosses are either just disappointed (which I understand) or downright angry with me.

As soon as my mistake was revealed I took full responsibility. I didn't make any excuses, I just acknowledged my mistake, apologized, and explained that I at least learned something - to be even more careful in the future. But somehow all the praise I've gotten in the past, my efficiencies (I became the fastest part-time employee after a few weeks of working), my "I-might-just-have-to-skip-lunch-to-finish-this" dedication - all of this has been completely forgotten and now I'm just "the kid who screwed up". I realize that I have to face the consequences of my mistake, but to me, it seems a bit unfair.

Do any of you guys have any perspective on this? Have you ever screwed up at work, and if so, how did you face the consequences? I feel pretty awful right now :/

I think there being unfair to you but hang in there, im sure it will blow over.

Yep, I was moving a tractor trailer once and I couldn't find a spotter to back into the new spot, so I backed in blind and the trailer was inside of an R.V.

Boss said, "that's what insurance is for.

More recently I was fired for being gay, of course that is unfair.

HumbleTangerine Wrote:So I've been working part-time after school for the past few months. I do lots of different stuff, but it usually relates to assembling/disassembling, controlling and manufacturing locks, hinges and other stuff. I learned everything quickly and have worked in a very dedicated manner throughout my employment. A couple of days ago, however, I made a pretty big mistake. I was working with a model I wasn't too familiar with, but thought everything had gone smoothly anyways.

That was not the reality however, since I got a call from my boss a few days later. Apparently many of the locks had been incorrectly assembled. Because of this, employees from the uhm, "mother-company" I guess, had to come over and fix everything. The company lost valuable money and time. I've never made a mistake worthy of mentioning before, so this is causing extreme levels of angst for me. My colleagues are acting pretty cold towards me, and my bosses are either just disappointed (which I understand) or downright angry with me.

As soon as my mistake was revealed I took full responsibility. I didn't make any excuses, I just acknowledged my mistake, apologized, and explained that I at least learned something - to be even more careful in the future. But somehow all the praise I've gotten in the past, my efficiencies (I became the fastest part-time employee after a few weeks of working), my "I-might-just-have-to-skip-lunch-to-finish-this" dedication - all of this has been completely forgotten and now I'm just "the kid who screwed up". I realize that I have to face the consequences of my mistake, but to me, it seems a bit unfair.

Do any of you guys have any perspective on this? Have you ever screwed up at work, and if so, how did you face the consequences? I feel pretty awful right now :/

You have done the right thing.
So you have made a mistake,are you the first person to make a mistake in life? will you be the last person to make a mistake in life? I think you will find the answer is a no.

I can tell you EVERYONE will make a mistake in the work place at some time or another i know i have.

You feel bad about this,but what does this tell you?
You are a good caring person that cares about the work you do,if you did not feel bad then there would be something wrong.So try not to beat yourself to much.

'The kid who screwed up" did anyone say this to you? or are you just thinking it?
Ask your work mates you may get a different answer than you expect.

We all make mistakes,but it is what we learn from them that matters it is how we grow and develop as people.

Keep your chin up Smile

hank Wrote:Yep, I was moving a tractor trailer once and I couldn't find a spotter to back into the new spot, so I backed in blind and the trailer was inside of an R.V.

Boss said, "that's what insurance is for.

More recently I was fired for being gay, of course that is unfair.

You was fired for being gay,that's awful can do they do that were you live?
In the UK that would be against the law.

Wolfpack Wrote:You was fired for being gay,that's awful can do they do that were you live?
In the UK that would be against the law.

Yeah, it's prettystupid. My boss was a homophobe. And apparently it is legal in Texas, so long as the company had fewer than 50 employees.

[quote=hank]Yeah, it's prettystupid. My boss was a homophobe. And apparently it is legal in Texas, so long as the company had fewer than 50 employees.[/QUOTE

That is really wrong, "fewer than 50 employess" why should it matter how many people work at a place to make it a law? not fair on you.
Hope you find work soon

When I was 20 I got this job as a waiter in a really posh hotel and I made a really stupid mistake on my first day because I asked the chef his name, obviously I now know that any chefs name is CHEF!

But he hatrd me from this moment on, I made another small mistake one time and as I was leaving with the plates he said "who hired him!"

Funny cause in all my other jobs Ive had the highest praise but when I was waiter everything went wrong.

- dropped butter in a lady's lap.
- retrieved butter (to my bosses dismay)
- scolding my hands with soup whilst trying to smile.

"Enjoy your soup mam"

"Thankyou young man, why are you crying"

HumbleTangerine Wrote:So I've been working part-time after school for the past few months. I do lots of different stuff, but it usually relates to assembling/disassembling, controlling and manufacturing locks, hinges and other stuff. I learned everything quickly and have worked in a very dedicated manner throughout my employment. A couple of days ago, however, I made a pretty big mistake. I was working with a model I wasn't too familiar with, but thought everything had gone smoothly anyways.

Humble.
may I weigh in here?
I a in senior management. I report to the owners directly.

Your colleagues.
No matter how friendly they are to you, it's dog-eat-dog. When somebody comes in and work's hard, you are showing them up and forcing them out of their comfort zone / work effort zone.

They will therefore use every opportunity to drag you down... Just forget it... water off a ducks back.

Your bosses are annoyed at the loss. You took responsibility, that's all you can do. They know that.

Nose to the grindstone, carry on as before, the next cock-up and the spotlight will be elsewhere.

Question I ask when a subordinate makes a mistake... What did you learn, and what will you do differently so that it won't happen again.

Hard knocks of life son... Grin & bear..

Chin up
Trial

Holy shit im not gonna lie that makes me so scared now that I'm gonna screw up in my job.

>.>

Especially since I have access to strangers' bank account numbers and credit card numbers, I don't want to accidentally steal them or do something really stupid.