Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The existence of HELL
Here's a controversial subject, even among Christians: the existence of Hell.

I've been giving this subject a lot of thought recently, I think it's a serious question and quite fascinating.

To make a long story short:

1) I have no doubt that God exists - if there's a creation, there has to be a creator and no, it wasn't the meteorite. Hell is a bit trickier but I also believe in it.

2) To me, the existence of evil poses no problem whatsoever: it's the logical consequence of our free will, God's greatest gift to mankind.

3) Everything we do, good or bad, has consequences and affects the entire universe (butterfly effect), so Hell is not a disproportionate punishment.

4) Going to Hell is therefore the consequence of our own actions, it's not God that sends us there.

My only problem with Hell (and religion in general) is the very own definition of sin: what constitutes sin or not? To some, nudity, abortion and idolatry are terrible sins; to others, they're perfectly acceptable.

Some fascinating videos on this fascinating subject:

#1: The case of Professor Howard Storm, a militant atheist that died, saw Hell and then became a Christian:

#2: The last words of Herbert Broome, an amazing testimony:

#3: From Colombia, another former atheist that saw Hell and became a Christian: Gloria Polo.

As a non-Christian, and I apologize if my opinion is not wanted on this thread, I think Hell is a state of being. Have you ever seen the movie "What Dreams May Come"? It's like that. Hell could also be the misery we inflict upon ourselves and others by wrongdoing. Growing up, I lived in a situation that anyone would call "Hell on earth" if they'd been in my shoes. And there are many places where Hell exists, most commonly known in places like Africa where children are forced to kill, back in Nazi Germany, etc. That is my philosophical take on the subject. Smile

I think hell ...and heaven....exist inside each one of us and we get to make it what it is either way....

I also believe in God but I am more inclined to define God as Mother Nature...or a force of light and higher intelligence in the universe...

I believe our soul evolves and moves on in the Universe eventually and I am always open to explore different ideas but NOT if they are fear or shame or guilt or hate based....I have no use for any of that kind of energy....

I don't believe in anything per se, but if there were a greater force I'd have to say there's more likely to be multiple Gods than just one. Because the world is too hectic and illogical, which It wouldn't be if it followed one set plan by one being, but if lots of Gods all were playing havoc and trying to take over then it would explain the existence of things such as war and poverty (maybe the pagans and ancient greeks were onto something). However this is just a speculation. I don't believe in hell because I can't see what purpose it would serve. How would a God benefit from people suffering in hell? And also; if a God is happy with condemning people to eternity in hellfire is he really worthy of praise?

My view on hell is, if you're afraid of going there, you've already arrived.

Fear, pain and grief are all forms of personal hell, and to get out of hell, you must overcome them.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

There is no hell, and there is no biblical scripture to demonstrate that anyone is going to heaven either.

Hell is the grave. Then there is the second death (oblivion) and there is for a limited few a thousand year period of being in the Lake of Fire. All three of those ideas got mixed into one thing.

All of those who don't warrant the second death,end up being resurrected from hell (the grave) and live on the Earth.

Really its all in the bible clear as day... The church and its splinter groups decided to 'interpret' into reality this reward and punishment system in order to cause its members to fear doing wrong and become dependent on the clergy to 'save' them from flames. Thus confession came into being.

Really, the only version of hell that I can even come close to believing in comes from the Dr. Who episode where he found the beast at the centre of a planet nearest to a black hole I do believe.

Uneunsae Wrote:As a non-Christian, and I apologize if my opinion is not wanted on this thread, I think Hell is a state of being. Have you ever seen the movie "What Dreams May Come"? It's like that. Hell could also be the misery we inflict upon ourselves and others by wrongdoing. Growing up, I lived in a situation that anyone would call "Hell on earth" if they'd been in my shoes. And there are many places where Hell exists, most commonly known in places like Africa where children are forced to kill, back in Nazi Germany, etc. That is my philosophical take on the subject. Smile

I am a believer in reincarnation. Thus, my theory on both heaven and hell are very similar to what Uneunsae states here. I believe Hell is created within our everyday lives through the backlash of karmic justice through one's lifetime(s) and Heaven created in our lives by karmic rewards.

No heaven, / No hell..... Both a man made control mechanism (Read religion for "man-made" and carrot & stick for "heaven & hell" ) to gain servitude, compliance and money.

Creation & thereafter evolution of the species? Could be..... By an advanced life? most probable explanation for this theory

Evolution of the species? Most probable theory....

Point is nobody knows, nobody's ever proved anything

My belief? Your life force continues on after passing but in what form nobody knows...
Do I care? No.

My only hope is I die having sex or next best in my sleep...

supasyd Wrote:I don't believe in hell because I can't see what purpose it would serve. How would a God benefit from people suffering in hell? And also; if a God is happy with condemning people to eternity in hellfire is he really worthy of praise?

Hell does have a purpose: justice. It is a place of punishment for sinners and keeps them away from Heaven. (if sinners were allowed in Heaven, I guess it would quickly become hell).

It's not God that sends people to hell, it's humans that freely choose to go there.