Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good ways to gain weight on budget?
I've done pretty good so far--gained nine pounds since February. Working out a lot and trying to eat a lot... But I think my stomach's expanded, and now I find myself hungry a LOT. And my weight seems to be plateauing a bit.

Food is getting expensive. The working out part is easy. But what are some foods I can buy that are inexpensive, especially if I plan to consume them a LOT? I looked up good weight-gain bars but they're like $30 for a 12-pack. Ideally I would do the "6 meal a day" thing.

I don't get how guys get huge and aren't broke.

MFax74 Wrote:I've done pretty good so far--gained nine pounds since February. Working out a lot and trying to eat a lot... But I think my stomach's expanded, and now I find myself hungry a LOT. And my weight seems to be plateauing a bit.

Food is getting expensive. The working out part is easy. But what are some foods I can buy that are inexpensive, especially if I plan to consume them a LOT? I looked up good weight-gain bars but they're like $30 for a 12-pack. Ideally I would do the "6 meal a day" thing.

What do you mean by stomach expanded? Are you trying to gain mass? My first impression on 'stomach expanded' is a belly/becoming overweight.

I think those bars are unnecessary and waste of money. People that I know just use mass gainers in powder (tub).

I think its best wait for others with better knowledge in this subject to reply.

MFax74 Wrote:I've done pretty good so far--gained nine pounds since February. Working out a lot and trying to eat a lot... But I think my stomach's expanded, and now I find myself hungry a LOT. And my weight seems to be plateauing a bit.

You haven't given us enough detail to give informed replies. You say you've gained 9lbs since February, how much of that is muscle and how much is fat? Do you want to gain more fat or are you looking to gain more muscle? What are you eating now (how many calories a day broken down by what macros)?

When you ask about "huge" guys, what do you mean? Bodybuilders? The answers to that one is easy: Yes they spend a lot of money on food but most of them are also juicing on Tren or some other anabolic. I have a 26yo friend who has the body of a hairless gorilla. He uses Tren, eats 3,000 cal a day and its taken him five years to look sort of like this:

[Image: 4c9703499de7a09fa85f84b35f8a55c7.jpg]

Careful what you wish for. I hear a lot of young guys saying that they need to bulk up and a lot of older guys who have problems with weight and metabolic issues. If I were to see Mike's buddy, as pictured above, waling down the street I would think that he was a bit of a freak. How will his looks and health be in 25 years?
I bid NO Trump!

Lol... I didn't mean for anyone to read so into this. I need to explain better. When I said "stomach expanding" I should have said "my appetite is getting bigger and bigger."

And no way am I looking (or "wishing") to get like that guy in the picture. I'm at 147 or so now, I think that 170-175 would be a great long-term goal.

The weight I've gained is most certainly in muscle. I have great definition but the "fill" isn't really there.

Really I am looking for general advice... Good brands, heavy snack ideas... I made this topic so people would throw some ideas out there... and also because I was hungry at the time I made it and it was an "impulse" topic. =)

The quickest way is to wear lots of layers of thick clothes and stay wet.

Nose-pick

I am a lanky skinny guy and have given up trying to gain weight.

peanut butter

cheap for high calories, good fats, decent protein, tastes great.
easy to store as temp doesn't matter much so can be brought with you, can be added to breads, fruits and veggies blah blah

Well shit....

The best way I know to gain weight.....start smoking...then quit.

I read that Robert DeNiro gained a lot of weight for a role by eating pizza ever day...so I would guess pizza and a gallon on cheap ice cream....worked for me :biggrin:

One way that I can think of that is more or less responsible is to look up the Zone Diet. There are two books. One is propaganda and method and the other is a book of charts giving food units. You decide what weight you want to be and eat x number of food units to get there. Though it is primarily designed for weight loss you could easily jiggle the factors to create weight gain and also come up with a balanced diet. In other words, you eat the right stuff, just more of it. I talked to my doctor about the Zone Diet and it really is not a fad thing.

Another approach would be to go to your doctor and get a referral to a good nutritionist.

What you don't want to do is what East is joking about above. Lots of carbs and fats will help you to add flab. That can be a bad thing, though I have to agree that ice cream tastes great and I love pasta. They just don't make for a good overall result in the end.
I bid NO Trump!

I stumpled upon some youtube vids of huge strongmen talking weightgain. Drinking coco was mentioned. Other than that the general idea was just to eat alot and yeah, they did mention that it's an expensive hobby.