Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A long story about my biggest pain, venting and asking for advice at the same time
I thought hard about whether or not post everything I have inside but that's why I came here, I guess.

Like I said in the introductory post, I'm from Latvia and 2 years ago a big tragedy happened in my country. You guys may or may have not heard about it. A large supermarket collapsed, killing dozens of people and my husband was one of them. Well, actually same sex marriage is not legal in Latvia, but we always called each other husbands anyway.

Today exactly two years are past and I still haven't gotten over his death. I live with a sense of guilt, because that evening I called him and asked him to catch some groceries when he comes home from job. He didn’t want to do it, he really didn’t. He said that he's very tired and that we could do it tomorrow and he just wanted to go home but I insisted. If only I hadn't done it, he wouldn't have gone into the store, he always hated doing shopping.

I spent all the time by the fence next to the supermarket, some people managed to call their relatives who were inside. I tried to call him too, there was a signal but no one picked up. I hoped that maybe he’s trapped and cannot move and that’s why he doesn’t answer me, that maybe he had managed to hide somewhere and maybe he's just injured. I hoped all the time until the next day's afternoon when the rescuers found him.

I'll never forget the moment when they asked me to tell whether it's him or not and I almost couldn't recognize his face. It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen, there was just a bloody mass instead of a person. He was mangled to the point where we couldn’t even open the coffin during the funeral. I’ve a hard time sometimes to remember him alive. This picture of his dead body is like engraved in my mind, I’ve had so many nightmares about it.

His funeral turned into a scandal. His mother never approved our relationships. She never accepted her son’s sexuality, always stating that he’s not gay, that this is all my doing, that I’m a bad influence on him. My husband was so annoyed by her that during the last year or so he had cut almost all contact with her. When she saw me, she started yelling all over the church that I killed him, it’s all my fault, she cursed me and wished me to die. Actually, at that moment I would have been more than happy to die.

My life has changed completely. I even got myself a new cellphone and I keep the old one at home because I'm afraid to accidentally lose it or something, as it contains his last call and his last text message that he sent me just a few minutes before collapse. Him and me, we were living right next to the supermarket. Of course, all the rubble is gone and everything is cleaned by now but I think you can imagine how I feel every time I look at the area through the window.

He was the most important person in my life. We were together for 10 years, he was next to me in every important moment of my life. He was the one who pushed me, who made me realize I can do anything I set my mind to. Every time I said "I can't" he said "no, you can". I feel like I’m an empty shell, everything seems lifeless and unmeaningful. I’m doing everything like a normal human being – eating, caring about myself, going to job, etc., but I’m doing all these things like automatically. I can also smile and laugh but then I always remember that at the end of the day I'll be going home and there'll be nothing there but empty rooms without his voice, his scent.

Guys, I'm not asking you to pity me, that's not why I told you all this. I know that probably this was his fate and life goes on and there's nothing I can do to turn the time back. However, I'm feeling quite depressed even after all this time.
What I want to ask is - have you ever lost someone you loved, not necessarily a lover but just someone you cared about? How did you cope with it? Thanks for your answers already!

P.S. maybe my English is not that good, ask if you don't understand something.

I have not experienced losses like this one.

All I can say is that as hard as it maybe, you will have to find a way to forgive yourself. Then move on. And pay no attention to his family.

He felt most likely as strongly for you as you did for him and I bet watching you like this would have made him sad.

That building could have collapsed an hour, a day later or earlier. But it did when it did.

Unless we have the ability to predict the future, no one can establish the full reach of our decisions.

It was a shitty thing that happened, beyond your control. Start believing that, repeat it to yourself, keep all the good moments in your mind and keep on living.

Bighug
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere, thanks for yor kind words.

I don't pity you, but I do feel sympathy for you. It's not the same thing, but just that your story touched my heart, and I'm sorry for your loss.

I have never lost anyone like that, but I know the grief can be hard. I don't know a lot about Latvia, but my suggestion (if it's possible) would be to find a professional therapist/counselor you can talk to that can help you through processing your grief.

I am so sorry to read this. I have never experienced a loss like this. It was not your doing and you have no need to feel guilty... and I have a feeling that deep down you believe that, too.

I agree with Leaf, a counselor would be someone you could voice these thoughts to. You may already be in counseling, but if not I do recommend it.

If your husband is still with you, in some way or another, what do you think he is trying to tell you? He is still there to support you and wants you to be happy, just in a different way. I know it's "easy for me to say," but I do believe he is still with you.

I am also upset that I never heard this story on the news. It is a tragedy, and I'm having trouble understanding why it never made headlines over here in the US.

Also, your English is excellent.

Your loss is considerable and you have my sympathy but (easier said than done), you should not feel guilty. To carry guilt like that, if you continue to do so, will prevent you moving on in your life and life is to be lived.

I have not experienced the sort of loss you have. The nearest I can come to it was the death of a very dear friend who, both she and her husband, had been like parents to me. I felt that loss deeply. It might seem trite but it is true that time is a great healer. Your husband would never have wanted you to grieve so much and I am sure that he would want you to be happy. What you have to do now is to remember him with love, not with guilt.

Bighug
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Oh man..I promised myself I wasn't going to sign in here again for a long time...if ever..but your story touched me and I wanted to at least give you a cyber hug...

For me..the answer is yes...I have lost a lot of people I have dearly loved....and I hate to say it but in my case...I never really get over any of them.....I just get "used to it"..them being gone. I never stop loving them....and as much as I would like to stop the sadness sometimes..I am grateful that I can feel it....and it is worth it....

What I tell myself is what I will tell you in case it helps at all.....

I truly believe if you love someone a part of them is always with you....

I also believe there is a silver lining in every cloud and if you look...and maybe even if you don't...you can remember something about him...or you with him..that changed you for the better..and instead of being sad...be very glad that you knew him and had the opportunity to love him.....and see it for the gift that it is.....

I never had the guilt you have experienced...and I really wish I could take it away for you. It kinda breaks my heart just reading your story...and I want to make it better for you....but the bottom line is..you must find a way to forgive yourself....and I know deep down you know it isn't your fault. We have no control over life and death..we just like to think we do.....

I think maybe one of the nicest things you can do for him is to love yourself the way he would want you to.....((()))

Again..very sorry for your loss....

I am very sorry to read this. I do remember the tragedy from the news, remember the pictures.

I have no experience with losing a loved one in such a way, but I believe that a part of him is with you.
As cruel as it sounds though, you have to go your way. You might need support for this, and that's why I also suggest looking for a therapist / counselor. Try find someone that you can openly discuss your story, your situation with, i.e. make sure he/she is gay friendly.
Here in Germany, the gay advisory centres have lists of gay friendly therapists, I could imagine it would be similar in Latvia.

I wish you all the best, and sending a big hug to you.

East Wrote:I think maybe one of the nicest things you can do for him is to love yourself the way he would want you to.....((()))

Thanks. Well said
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Thanks for your support, guys, it means a lot to me. Latvia is such a small country that the news about our events not always are known to the whole world, I guess.

I've seen a therapist however I haven't had a lot of benefit form it. Latvia is not a very liberal country and when I tell I've lost my lovable man they just don't know what to say. Also every time I see a different therapist, I have to tell what happened, and it's like ripping my wounds open again and again.

But I've joined the community that has been created by all the people who have lost someone in this accident. There I'm receiving some comfort from people who are actually total strangers to me.