Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
am I doing the right thing?
I've been unemployed for the last four months and have been actively job seeking the entire time and today I got a call for a position open I know I can easily get but it would be going back to working in an environment the same as my last job. my last job was filled with extremely immature people stuck in high school and I hated my job because of that but it payed well. my last job was also full of triggers for depression, I got really low working there. I want to get back to working again and still haven't heard anything back from the last two employers I interviewed with which was less than a week ago and both great jobs with much better working environments.

am I right for staying away from this position? what would you do in my situation? money is not really a problem for me but I'm really want to get back to working so I can get back on track with my life goals.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Well I kind of know what you mean. I worked in the hospitality industry, still IT, but I was promoted and started working at a different property...it was the same...actually worse. It wasn't anything wrong with it being IT just the same problems I had at one property were much worse and constantly being bothered, I was on call all the time and it sucked badly.

If money isn't a problem I don't think there's anything wrong with passing it up in effort to work somewhere you like better...

It took me like 3 years to get where I'm at now, it is not easy, that's even with good references. It helps when you know folks but even then it sometimes isn't enough.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

For a quick response, no I don't think it would be right to take that job. Knowing it will most likely cause you misery and you know you don't need it right this minute then don't take it. Money isn't everything. Your happiness/peace of mind should be more important

My motto always is that you work to live, not live to work. If you know that job is going to make you stressed out or depressed again then you are right to stay away. If money was desperate then I would say different, but you will be much better healthwise if you wait for something that you are more suited to. We spend a lot of our lives at work so we have got to at least be somewhat happy there!

In my opinion I don't think you should take a job that could trigger symptoms of depression, you have the potential to feel worse then you I did before. The same kind of job in a different workplace is definitely not the answer and I've had to learn that the hard way.

I have recently left a job role after just accepting the same kind of job over and over for years, the end result of it has been that I actually felt so bad that I was feeling things that should never be felt in a workplace. I actually went to the doctor yesterday who said that I have symptoms of both anxiety and depression and I shouldn't put myself in a position that would exaggerate the symptoms.

You need to be advertising yourself when looking for other jobs as having other skills and/or transferable skills that can be taken advantage of in different work areas. It will be hard to find work elsewhere because people will often be pigeon holed into certain roles but don't give it up the search at the expense of your own health.