Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To be alone and happy.
I think I've started to shift my thinking away from the concept that it is necessary to be in a relationship to be happy. I've been on my own my whole life and I think that I've become conditioned to just be happy alone. While I think of relationships, I have realized that I'm way to anxious about it to ever be in one. The second I feel someone is beginning to like me, I become very put off and want to just be alone again. I don't think its wrong, its the way I have developed.

Who knows, perhaps I will be proven to be wrong. But here's to being solitary and enjoying it. Wink

Happiness is an inner thing, seek self happiness first and outward happiness will follow.
But don't give up on the idea that someone could love you - you're at the very least a VERY likeable guy.

XRIMO Wrote:I think I've started to shift my thinking away from the concept that it is necessary to be in a relationship to be happy. I've been on my own my whole life and I think that I've become conditioned to just be happy alone. While I think of relationships, I have realized that I'm way to anxious about it to ever be in one. The second I feel someone is beginning to like me, I become very put off and want to just be alone again. I don't think its wrong, its the way I have developed.

Who knows, perhaps I will be proven to be wrong. But here's to being solitary and enjoying it. Wink

Dear friend, Confusedmile:
As you probably know from reading my many posts, you'll remember that I was a relationship recluse for 18 years before I started dating Marshlander. I too felt happy enough living on my own. I knew it was better to be single than badly paired off with someone I didn't want to be with. Choosy? Not really, just a lack of proper opportunities, and a deep desire for privacy. I did, however, try the relationship thing for 4 years before that period. So I also knew that a relationship wasn't out of my reach or capacity.

That being said, I know what you're saying and I know how it can feel. I think it's great that you can be happy living on your own and not needing a relationship to fulfill your life. Some people don't know how to deal with life without a relationship, even if it's a bad one. Others learn to cope and be happy being themselves and enjoying their own company. It could be that that is just the way you are and think at the moment. You have conditioned yourself to like your company more than anyone else's... and that's surely the best you can do at present.

However, I also think that you have come a long way since we met on here, and that the new you, who is open and out, may find it easier to deal with a relationship, again, when that card comes into your hands. It is likely that you will find that relationship when you are least looking for it. That's what happened to me. So, although you may think that you're better off single, just keep that glimmer of hope and curiosity alight, so that, if need be, you can spark your way into a relationship (for what it's worth). I think, as you are a Taurus, things need to grow on you, and they take time to feel comfortable, but you are not incapable of being a wonderful lover, some day. Bear it in mind. It seems to me that life, in some places, doesn't offer that many opportunities for a relationship that will be lasting and endearing, so maybe that's where you are now. But don't be surprised if one day, we all turn up to your wedding Wink.

In the mean time, I hope you will find ways of being happy with yourself, being your own man and not missing the camaraderie, the intimacy, the joys (and woes) of living and sharing your life with another human being. (it's hard enough having to live with neighbours and friends, lol...) We are fed these dreams of being a "family" by society so much that society itself forgets all the lonely or the singles. But I believe society also needs singles, who can often handle what family people can't because they are too busy raising kids and trying to rest up from it. Sometimes, we can take the pressure off the family people just by offering to keep the kids for a few hours, or by babysitting, or even just giving the kids a lesson, or taking them to a movie or play a game with them. I don't know if the family people are grateful to us for that, but they certainly would find it harder without us.

To sum up, good luck with your life and maybe ... one day ... you'll find the other shoe, that rare fit... which makes walking in pairs comfortable. Confusedmile:
Bighug

hey xrimo i think its a good thing to be alone and happy cause sometimes i was like that too
and if you do happen to find a relationship one day then hopefully youll find the right one.

and i personally dont think its wrong to be alone

i hate when people say you have to be married just because i think they be on some BS.

and your always a nice guy

Hey hubby,
Never give up on love.

To be content with being single, I think, is a prerequisite to finding/beginning a good romantic relationship. I know that after a two year hiatus from dating, I've become more discriminating in my choices, more aware of what I want and expect from others. Being single was a great time for me to work on the issues that have held me back throughout life, and I highly recommend the experience for everyone.

On the flip side, don't trick yourself into thinking that you have to be alone, or that you don't deserve/are too good for a relationship. Humans are essentially social animals, and having some form of relationship (platonic, sexual, tutelary, etc) is always a good opportunity to learn more about yourself as a person, get more in touch with what you really think and feel.

I can say that now, after my hiatus, life is better. I've been chatting with the first guy in five years to really catch my attention, and while by some standards it's a slow progress, I think both he and I are discovering each other at a good rate. This would not have been possible had I not taken the time to understand myself and how I tick.

So...Good on you, XRIMO, for starting the journey of self discovery. And I think princealbertofb is right in his assessment of solitude v. companionship. Stay open to love, 'cause it's impossible to predict and impossible to control. C'est la vie, and so you just gotta enjoy it. Smile

Part of me wants to delete this thread, because when I wrote it, I wasn't in the best of places. However, because of the wonderful responses I'll keep it open as a reminder for myself to keep moving forward, alone or with someone.

Well maybe you should keep it open since it might help others who are in the same spot as you, my friend... And also it is nice to feel the recognition of your latest post. Thank you.
Bighug
PA

I used to be depressed about being alone, but now I'm ok with it Smile It is hard to fight though. It really is and its a personal battle. I know when I was depressed, nobody could tell me anything. Its really a battle of will but I'm sure people can overcome if they truly desire it Smile That and make sure your friends are there as well they do help.
I'm just glad I'm finally ok with being single and can now move on with other things Smile

You are only alone if you want to be alone .... with friends.. family and so on you are not alone. Maybe you have not a partner... but... that must not be a bad time.
I have used partner-less time for myself... doing what I want to do... living how i want to live... learning what I can learn about myself.
And I think I am right if I say that nobody here thinks that you will never find a partner...

What i read about you seems to me that you are a nice, open guy ... and why you should not find a guy who want you ....

Use your time as a free man ;-) the time when a guy near you want to watch a other tv-channel ... wants to eat other things ... want to stay home when you want to go out ... wants to meet his friends wich you don´t like .... comes early enough ... ;-)