Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work place homophobia
My immediate instinct would be to challenge, but were I in your situation I would probably ignore it this time. I would, though, keep a very close eye and pounce quite hard if it happened again. As Jim suggested, someone may well have pointed out the error of his ways and he may have understood the inappropriateness of his comment. Being seen to be making heavy weather of what he saw as a lighthearted comment may mean that his re-education takes longer. If someone did comment like that around me a second time my approach would probably be something along the lines of, "I let it go last time, because I thought you would probably realise how inappropriate and offensive that comment could be when you saw it in the cold light of day. However, doing it again means you didn't see it, so please make this the last time you circulate something like that round the office ..." or something that is polite, assertive and is directed at the action, not the person. Wink

just make sure that you don't create any spark of arguments...

The Virgin Wrote:just make sure that you don't create any spark of arguments...
I have to disagree. Sometimes a frank exchange of views may be required.

marshlander Wrote:My immediate instinct would be to challenge, but were I in your situation I would probably ignore it this time. I would, though, keep a very close eye and pounce quite hard if it happened again. As Jim suggested, someone may well have pointed out the error of his ways and he may have understood the inappropriateness of his comment. Being seen to be making heavy weather of what he saw as a lighthearted comment may mean that his re-education takes longer. If someone did comment like that around me a second time my approach would probably be something along the lines of, "I let it go last time, because I thought you would probably realise how inappropriate and offensive that comment could be when you saw it in the cold light of day. However, doing it again means you didn't see it, so please make this the last time you circulate something like that round the office ..." or something that is polite, assertive and is directed at the action, not the person. Wink

Good advice...I quite agree...I had to smile when I read your first line..."My immediate instinct would be to challenge"...I would have the same immediate instinct:biggrin: but in this case I think ignoring it this once might be the best course but if it happens again I would reconsider and most likely approach the subject.

well, a frank exchange of views or argument can never have any good results.

Lots of sensible advice here, so may I offer this (for humourous effect only, don't try this at home).

Invite him out to the car park to settle it like a man, it's sometimes the only language they understand.Confusedmile:

fist fight huh? lovely...

I agree that to do nothing is probably best but if someone had descibed a footballer as a "nigger" then I suspect most peoples answers would be different.

stu Wrote:I agree that to do nothing is probably best but if someone had descibed a footballer as a "nigger" then I suspect most peoples answers would be different.

That is a great point actually....

My answer would have been different...I would have not offered any advice...it is a long story.

Cardiganwearer Wrote:Lots of sensible advice here, so may I offer this (for humourous effect only, don't try this at home).

Invite him out to the car park to settle it like a man, it's sometimes the only language they understand.Confusedmile:
But wouldn't a fight be easier?
Someone would notice the blood on the car, surely?:tongue:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so