Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about husband's sexuality.
Hi all,
I'm a very sad and confused female looking for help.
I have suspicions of my husband being gay and in the closet.
We have been together for almost 6 years and 4 of those years have been pretty much sexless. I have also noticed a few things which made me question whether or not he's gay. I have confronted him and he completely denies being gay. I know he would never come out because he is a practicing Muslim. We have a child together and he is so attached. I'm sure he doesn't want to be separated from him. I feel very dad most of the time and just want to be in a normal relationship. I feel like I'm being lied to and have a right to know. I've already spent so many years in misery. I need solid evidence and since he won't tell me what's going on I've decided to investigate. I need your help please. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Sexless marriages are the norm.... Sorry...

As for sexuality if he claims the title of straight then he is 'straight' in his own head. Granted he may be 100% homosexual, but as long as he refuses to act on it or be it, he is 'straight'.

Sadly he grew up in an environment where homosexuality is strictly forbidden, as such it won't be until he is in his 40's or never that he comes to grips with that.

There really is no real sign of homosexuality aside from having sex with people of the same gender.

There is, unfortunately, a very large community of "straight" married men who put out ads and have hook-ups on the side with gay guys - for 'discreet sex'. They identify as straight even though what they do with these guys is very gay.

Self identity is the key here. Until such time he is able to face his 'gay' on his own terms, he will firmly believe he is straight.

And he has "proof" that he is straight.
1. He is married to a woman.
2. He has offspring.

These are for him undeniable proofs of his heterosexuality, no matter how often he doesn't have sex with you or how 'straight' he behaves in other areas of life.

Since no sex is the real underlying issue here, can you confront that situation without accusations of homosexuality? If so, I strongly recommend a couples counselor to 'save our marriage'.

He may not be willing to go, but it may cause him to spend more time with you 'that way'.

Ultimately instead of trying to find proof of his sexuality, you need to consider him as a person you are married to and if this no sex thing, this 'I'm being the dad to the kids' and whatever other issues are taking place in your relationship are tenable without an 'excuse' of homosexuality.

If these things are untenable in and of themselves (his sexuality not the question here), perhaps now its time to look into divorce, child custody, etc.

As for 'normal' relationships... I fear that you are in for a shock, problems in relationships are normal. Its a matter of attempting to find a middle ground and a matter of what it is you are willing to deal with and what you are not.

If all the issue is is lack of sex and he is a decent fellow, a provider, whatever that you require in other areas of your marriage, it may very well be this is the best darn marriage you can have.

Again, couples counseling is in order. Perhaps there is a fix, or perhaps in the process of counseling you both can decide that its time to part company.

I appreciate your answer but I never suspected him of being homosexuel until I noticed he's a little too friendly with an openly gay neighbor. My husband was driving this man around and the guy was giving my husband gifts such as flowers ...they chill together on the balcony with my neighbor half naked! My husband acts like such a homophobe but yet he went to the gay parade and although he kept talking about how disgusting gay people are he stayed there for 2 hours.
I found out he downloaded a gay movie onceonce and he told me he didn't even know what it was and never watched it. Once in the beginning of our relationship he told me that broke back mountain was one of his favorite movies but now that he knows I suspect he's gay he says he never even watched that movie.
There's a gay guy who works at our bank and he gave my husband his card ...ever since then there has been a very large number of phone calls between them very frequently and my husband acts like it's related to his credit card account or bank account.
I don't believe a sexless marriage is the norm for straight couples.
i live with a man who not only never initiates sex but he avoids it like the plague.
He is 39 years old and I don't believe he has health issues because he does seem to have an erection every morning.

I absolutely don't think a sexless relationship is normal. .i don't get that at all...healthy people love to have wild passionate sex like no tomorrow. .at least I know I do.

Just because he's not interested in sex anymore, doesnt mean he is gay.

Bowyn say's "it's the norm"........and he is right.

Its common knowledge that men joke that once they are married, they lose interest in sex, especially after having kids. And thats more truth than joke.

If he has lost interest, there isnt much you can do about it. You just have to find a way to be happy with the situation, unless it disturbs you too much. Then I would suggest couples counseling or talking about a separation.

I've asked him to go to couple's councelling he refuses. What kind of a straight man can not be turned on a woman wearing sexy lingerie for him. I can't count how much money i have spent buying sexy lingerie to get him in the mood....and he never touched me and he pushes me away.
I'm a very beautiful woman..that's something I'm aware of. It is way too easy for me to get a man's attention but my husband! !!

I don't know what you people are talking about. I have married friends and most of them still have
Sex at least once a week and our baby is only one year old but our relationship has been sexless for 4 years!

I don't know a single married woman who actually has to beg and chase her man for sex...it's usually the contrary.

luna12345 Wrote:I appreciate your answer but I never suspected him of being homosexuel until I noticed he's a little too friendly with an openly gay neighbor. My husband was driving this man around and the guy was giving my husband gifts such as flowers ...they chill together on the balcony with my neighbor half naked! My husband acts like such a homophobe but yet he went to the gay parade and although he kept talking about how disgusting gay people are he stayed there for 2 hours.
I found out he downloaded a gay movie onceonce and he told me he didn't even know what it was and never watched it. Once in the beginning of our relationship he told me that broke back mountain was one of his favorite movies but now that he knows I suspect he's gay he says he never even watched that movie.
There's a gay guy who works at our bank and he gave my husband his card ...ever since then there has been a very large number of phone calls between them very frequently and my husband acts like it's related to his credit card account or bank account.
I don't believe a sexless marriage is the norm for straight couples.
i live with a man who not only never initiates sex but he avoids it like the plague.
He is 39 years old and I don't believe he has health issues because he does seem to have an erection every morning.

It is normal for some degree of sexual activity during a marriage. BA is right in that it should decrease because of health (sexual dysfunction sensitivity lower testosterone), deceased time, etc. (though sometimes sexual activity increases in old age, which is kind of gross, but still). On another topic, some people actually just don't enjoy sex, which is unfortunate but happens sometimes.

Has he ever enjoyed sex? A single time? Has he ever really seemed to be enjoying himself, or initiated sex a single time? He may have a lower sex drive, or you may even be right about him being 'sort of gay' --- he could like members of both sex but is married to you which isn't really a problem if that's the case. There are a lot of variables here.

Anyway; it's impossible to tell if your husband is gay from your musings about his sexuality on a forum, which is something BA mentioned... but your expanding on this makes it a little more reasonable for us to be able to consider your concerns.

If your husband is gay, him having gay friends is probably important to him. But at the same time --- if he's cheating on you (?), it's never right. Ever. No matter what. It's possible that he is, and if that comes up, it is something he has to know is wrong, because even if he is gay, he did make a vow to remain faithful to you, and that's a breach of trust.

At the same time, he's obviously stayed with you and tried to provide for your marriage, and been there for your child. To this extent, as much as you feel you're suffering, he's likely suffering as well. And this is the truth of many relationships with troubles --- both parties are hurting.

This isn't something that's easy to fix if he is gay, because it's unique to every situation. Whether you stay together, separate but remain very good friends and on good terms, or have everything fall apart is unique to your situation --- and likely up to you.

I would seriously suggest relationship counselling, through a counselor with sessions together and alone and also encourage from him to see a counselor/therapist if it turns out that he is gay --- because he's lived straight for a long time, and if he's gay, there's just so much cognitive dissonance going on in his brain that I really think professional help would be a good idea. He's not going to want too, but if you're firm and say it's for the sake of the relationship (or any relationship for that matter), he may see how serious it is.

If he's tried to be a good husband in every way besides being gay and being largely sexless, he does care about you and isn't a malicious person. If he is gay, you're still a person he cares deeply for, and he's probably terrified of you ever knowing he's gay in part because of that. So as much as you probably don't want him to be anything other than straight, you might also consider making sure he knows that it's okay to be gay, and that even if it changes your relationship you're not going to hate him. You may be the only person in his life if it comes to that who doesn't turn away from him if he decides to be open about being gay (again, if he is gay), as you say he is muslim, and he's lived straight --- and when a person makes a life change they often find themselves completely alone.

Thank you so much for the replies. Yes I have had a very serious discussion with him and I assured him that I will still love him and can stay in the marriage if he wants. I told him I have no problem with homosexuality and promised him I won't tell anyone because I understand and that his child will still be very much in his life and he didn't answer me....He didn't say he's straight and didn't say he's gay. =(
I deserve to know the truth. I just want to be in a normal relationship. I absolutely feel no love from him. I think he loves me like a sister. He can't ever even look at me. It's like I'm invisible.
It is not just no sex...there's no affection at all...no greeting me when he gets home..no saying goodnight when he goes to bed. I'm a ghost.