Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with a Player/Charmer
So I'm pretty sure I've determined that the guy I've been enamoured with for the last few months is a big time player. I'm looking for advice on how to address it with him. Now, we aren't in a relationship we're just good friends who have hooked up and I know that's my first problem. We're FWB. Not dating so it really shouldn't bother me that much or at all but it does.

Basically, he shows the classic push/pull scenarios. For example, we texted back and forth throughout the day for almost an entire week last week and then since Sunday I can't get him to respond to any of my texts or calls. During the time we were texting he was very involved, making me feel like he enjoys talking to me and all that jazz (again classic for a charmer). He's done this once before and there have been several times where we have made plans and something comes up on his end (either stuck at work or gets home late or is too tired etc etc). And no I'm not just being overcritical, there have been times where we make plans and then I've heard that he was actually out doing something else but he doesn't bother to cancel or let me know that he can't make it.
Another example: We had plans to go out last friday. He said he got of work an hour later than planned and wanted to go home and take a quick nap (this was around 8pm). I called him around 945 to see if he still wanted to go out and he didn't answer. I decided to drive to his house since we had originally planned on meeting there around 10-1030 anyway and he wasn't home. No cancellation, didn't answer my phone call and then wasn't home napping like he said he was. The next morning, he texted me around 9am saying "I just woke up" which is clearly a lie since he wasn't even home the night before. Just to give you an idea of what he does I guess.

I've learned from a mutual friend that he has done this to guys in the past and at one point a long time ago he was juggling 2 or 3 guys at the same time and when he was approached, he got really offended and denied everything and it almost ended the friendship completely. I guess the obvious answer is to cut things off completely and forget about him but I'm not sure I'm at a point where I can do that.

Have any of you guys had experience with something like this? Have you ever confronted the person successfully? I'm pretty sure if I bring this up he's going to explode like he did in the past and probably blame me or make me feel like it's somehow my fault or something (again, which is basically what a charmer would do). Honestly I'd like to give him a taste of his own medicine but I know I'll lose that fight because he has more experience doing it. And to be honest, I gain nothing if I become the same type of person he is so while I'd like him to experience what I have been feeling, it's not a good idea to try I know.

Friends don't treat you this way.

Don't make this fuck buddy a priority in your life...

Move on

kindy64 Wrote:Friends don't treat you this way.

Don't make this fuck buddy a priority in your life...

Move on

I'll 2nd that!
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

You obviously don't need someone to be taking whatever relationship you may have this lightly, even if it is friends with benefits. He doesn't sound like the most dependable of people, and it doesn't sound as if he's honest enough to blow you off completely. Maybe you should go out looking for a new FWB?

Yeah, leave him for dirt as the others have said. Friends don't stand you up. Honesty seems to allude some people.

everything you guys have said is true and I knew that before even writing that post. guess it was just one of those things that you need someone to tell you to really make it sink in.

He doesn't respect you. He knows what buttons to push to get sex when he wants it. That's all you are to him. He'll only treat you like this as long as you let him and fall for his games.

Not really sure how I feel now, but I used to feel that the way to handle these guys was to handle them as they handled you.

Once hung out with a guy pretty regularly and slowly realized that he was playing aobut a half dozen people like they were on yoyos. He started to do that with me and I just became unavailable.
I bid NO Trump!

How I handle people like this is that I cut them out of my life and discard them. I don't enjoy being used. I don't enjoy being lied to. I don't have tolerance for either of those things.

You deserve better, both in a friend and in a friend-with-benefits.

Borg69 Wrote:He doesn't respect you. He knows what buttons to push to get sex when he wants it. That's all you are to him. He'll only treat you like this as long as you let him and fall for his games.
Yep, I've realized this with his most recent excuses.

LJay Wrote:Not really sure how I feel now, but I used to feel that the way to handle these guys was to handle them as they handled you.

Once hung out with a guy pretty regularly and slowly realized that he was playing aobut a half dozen people like they were on yoyos. He started to do that with me and I just became unavailable.

The sad thing? He's most recent ex did the exact same thing to him. Played him, two timed him to the point he went into a depression and filed for bankruptcy after the breakup. It amazes me that he's willing to do the same thing to people that happened to him. But I guess that shows his true character. Selfish, narcissistic and a prodigious liar.

You guys are right. I deserve better in every way. Thanks!