Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help in long term relationship...
Ok so this is my first time posting on a message board....

But I guess I just needed some advice on what to do with my relationship. Have been going out with a guy for about 8 years - first person I've lived in a relationship with.

I guess I'm not quite sure what to do. Truth is he;s always been more into me than the other way round. Haven't really had a problem with it but sometimes I wonder if I'm in the relationship more for him than for me. The problem (if it's a problem) is that he's a really really nice guy who I generally get on very well with. We have good (if infrequent) sex, he's pretty good looking etc. But I was thinking about how almost all the best times in my life have been when he isn't there. It's almost like I can't really be the real me when I'm around him. When I'm out with my friends I'm the life and soul of the party and just having a great laugh. When he's there, I always feel that I need to look after him as he's much more shy. As a result I change. And we're not really into the same music. I love sport, whereas he hates it. I get paid more (if only a bit), I'm more ambitious etc. whereas I think he's just happy as is. I feel like a total cock saying this but sometimes I kind of look down on him. Not that I think I'm better but I guess it's like I just want something more.

The truth is I'm feeling a bit trapped. I feel I have no right to moan as finding a decent guy isn't easy and essentially I've got a good one. Part of me is worried that if I leave him, I'll never find anyone as good. Besides, I don't want to hurt him for the sake of it.

Sometimes I think about having an affair or something but haven't ever gone through with it (I did once snog another guy years ago which I told him about). It's like I want to know whether it's the relationship that's the problem or whether there really is something better out there. Maybe just seeing someone else for a while would make me feel less trapped though I know that's not really the answer. And probably wouldn't have the guts to go through with it anyway.

So I'm not really sure what advice I'm asking for here. Not really anything you can say I guess but just wanted to put my words down as can't talk to anyone about it (If I talked to my friends they'd just be put in an awkward position)

Cheers for reading...

It amazes me how people who have found someone so "wonderful", sit around thinking up reasons to bitch, whine, and complain about it, instead of putting all that wasted time and energy into making it a BETTER relationship.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for you.

MisterTinkles Wrote:It amazes me how people who have found someone so "wonderful", sit around thinking up reasons to bitch, whine, and complain about it, instead of putting all that wasted time and energy into making it a BETTER relationship.

I don't really have anything to add which is probably due to lack of experience but way to insult someone opening up about a problem - I'm sure that method is rivaled only by constructive advice in terms of successfulness.

ABomb, I believe I've answered your question in ZipZapZop's thread, so you might be tempted to go there and have a read.... Anyhow, for the moment, Welcome to GaySpeak. I hope you eventually find a solution to your predicament, but I think it all goes with having the balls to take up the issue with your boyfriend about what your future means to you, and to him, and seeing if that future is meant to belong to you as a couple or to you as individuals again. The road won't be easy, but you've got to face some of the rough times, or remain content and compromise, as Bowyn would probably say.

MisterTinkles Wrote:It amazes me how people who have found someone so "wonderful", sit around thinking up reasons to bitch, whine, and complain about it, instead of putting all that wasted time and energy into making it a BETTER relationship.

Mr Tinkles, if it were so easy, this young person would not be asking for advice on it. He probably is looking for solutions to make his life and the meaning of his partnership better. You may not have any sympathy for him because he's apparently met someone wonderful, but if the situation goes on like this it'll die a premature death. He's asking for help, so please don't denigrate or put him down with words like "have no sympathy". If he knew how to do it, he'd be doing it, wouldn't he. That sounded more uncaring than you really meant to be, surely?

SolemnBoy Wrote:I don't really have anything to add which is probably due to lack of experience but way to insult someone opening up about a problem - I'm sure that method is rivaled only by constructive advice in terms of successfulness.

WHY even be bothered with any kind of relationship if you're just going to sit there and whine about it, find problems with it, and tell people you think you should leave instead of being a decent person and either making it work instead of bitching and whining about it, or just move the fuck out and get your own life.

OMFG.....since Ive been on this site, theres been like 100 of the SAME EXACT whiny babies post the SAME EXACT thing on here!!

There are only TWO options:

1. Shut the hell up and make it WORK.
2. LEAVE.

Most of these posters just want people to feel sorry for them and "pat them on the back" and talk baby talk to them. Grow a pair of balls and DO something, dont just sit there and whine about it. It gets nauseating and stop copying all the other "feel sorry for me" posts!

Im starting to think this is one person with the same damn story, posting it under 100 different names, because they NEED people to feel sorry for them!!

MisterTinkles Wrote:WHY even be bothered with any kind of relationship if you're just going to sit there and whine about it, find problems with it, and tell people you think you should leave instead of being a decent person and either making it work instead of bitching and whining about it, or just move the fuck out and get your own life.

OMFG.....since Ive been on this site, theres been like 100 of the SAME EXACT whiny babies post the SAME EXACT thing on here!!

2. LEAVE.

Most of these posters just want people to feel sorry for them and "pat them on the back" and talk baby talk to them. Grow a pair of balls and DO something, dont just sit there and whine about it. It gets nauseating and stop copying all the other "feel sorry for me" posts!

Im starting to think this is one person with the same damn story, posting it under 100 different names, because they NEED people to feel sorry for them!!

Hmm. Thank you for the sympathetic and compassionate way you put this. so many others just don't pussyfoot around the subject and make it perfectly clear how they feel. :biggrin: Rofl

MisterTinkles Wrote:WHY even be bothered with any kind of relationship if you're just going to sit there and whine about it, find problems with it, and tell people you think you should leave instead of being a decent person and either making it work instead of bitching and whining about it, or just move the fuck out and get your own life.

2. LEAVE.

Why even bother leaving insulting comments rather than doing something that would be in any way significant? People have problems. Sometimes those very problems are things that wouldn't bother me in the least, or things that in my own opinion aren't even problems to begin with. Acting the way you do about it, however, is not going to help at all. If you can't get your point across without making unnecessary assumptions and insults there's no way people are going to care about what you have to say - in other words, any advice you may have been able to give will be lost.

8 years is a long time to be with someone. If you have always felt this way and have stuck with this for whatever reason then I have to frown on you a bit. IF, however, you can look back and see there was a spark long long ago, then you most likely are suffering from the 7 year itch or something along those lines.

Relationships don't just happen, they require work. And if this guy you are with is all of that, you should really work more on this relationship - even get down on your knees and thank him for being such a wonderful human being.

And as Mr. Tinkles kinda hinted at, the other side of the fence, single - without anyone, or worse being in a relationship with a total asshole/dick/abuser is far, far worse.

So there is that 'count your blessings' thing going on here too.

do you ever talk with your partner about this?

I don't think it is unusual to have moments like these.