Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me make this a sucess
So I have met a guy on a dating site (POF) and we had talked previously but disappeared for a while, apparently he tried getting back with his ex which ultimately did not work out. So we started talking again and he’s a great guy, knew that from the start. We had a date over in the town he lives in and had sushi - nothing outstanding -- except for him. He’s very handsome, very smart, well mannered….I mean there’s not much to really pick at here. However, the problem is that I can’t stop thinking about him, I guess it is some kind of crush or something. I have had a crush before but it was in one of those situations where I couldn't do anything, so this is different. He has also posted on GS before, but I think it is better not to give that away.

The problem is that I can't stop focusing on myself and not screwing up, I keep thinking about the flaws I have and how I might say or do something that might make him think twice about me. All of the dating I have done usually goes to pot very quickly, usually right after the first date. So I am always doubting myself, questioning myself, thinking when is this guy going to end up crushing me and stop talking to me. I have had too many bad experiences with guys and always seems something goes wrong and its always something ridiculous, or simply unknown. The minute I feel I made a mistake or mis-spoke I get upset thinking - that did it!

I think this person is very special as I said very handsome, fit, smart, well mannered. I think he does seek out a long term relationship which is ultimately what I want, but I am impatient like I want it to be official now and him in my arms. I know better and know it doesn’t work like that. So far we have dated twice, recently invited him over for dinner and sort of went all out to impress him. The 2nd date went well.

So the question I have is it me that is just falling quickly for this guy or is it me just trying to latch on to the first thing…and I’m not saying that as in I’m settling, I think he is the real deal and from what I know of him certainly someone I could feel comfortable. Is it is charisma? There is something about him and seems that others have gone head over heels for this guy too.

To put some perspective the last person I had a relationship with was a total user, long story short he lost his job, became a bum, used his friends, family and used me. Other guys I might have dated, or had a fling with and at time had to find out the hard way that they didn't see me as relationship material. This is the first guy in a long time to come along that doesn't just want to fool around. He has a bright future ahead of him and if there's any chance I hope it could be me.

I have limited experience with dating guys or being in a relationship or even living with someone outside my family. Those are big things to consider. Since I don't have much of a track record or history. I mean how much of a chance do I really have at creating a lasting relationship with this guy. I'm almost 30 and he's a few years younger than me and is finishing up college. I have a decent job at a college in IT...as a matter of fact that's where we have a lot in common, we're both in similar fields.

Ugh...I get myself down and sometimes I feel that if things don't work out I might just give up trying anything and just go asexual.... Seems that in the end you end up heartbroken or find that you're inadequate for someone in some way.

Anyway that's a start.

Send him a sphincter pic..

Relax! If the first two dates went well what are you worrtying about? Just be yourself and go with the flow.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

You don't get to choose what you think your "flaws" are. Those could be the very things he finds endearing. Be yourself - not what you think he wants you to be.

You're thinking too much, and maybe putting this guy on a pedestal a bit, and that's not good. Yes, you're falling too quickly, you're heavily infatuated with him. Try to take a step back and distract yourself with other stuff.

just be blatantly honest, remember everyone has flaws, if someone doesn't like you for who you are then there wasting your time in the first place, because you can't put on a mask forever.

Anonymous Wrote:...Ugh...I get myself down and sometimes I feel that if things don't work out I might just give up trying anything and just go asexual.... Seems that in the end you end up heartbroken or find that you're inadequate for someone in some way. ...
You should give up trying. I don't mean you should give up dating. You should give up TRYING to *make something happen*. <<< That right there is the problem. You can't "make something happen". Or, rather, one can, but it doesn't last precisely *because* it was *made* to happen... rather than something that just happened out of mutual interest.

Dating is just an opportunity to spend time with someone. It should be fun. Enjoyable. Not some kind of test you can "fail" at. Even thinking along those lines creates a kind of tension that is likely to make the whole situation so awkward it is bound to be uncomfortable and "no fun for anyone".

Give it up. Stop TRYING to *make* a relationship happen. Let it happen or just let it go.

Thanks for the advice. It's funny how things go, you have guy after guy who just don't really care and use you, then have the one guy who actually is the exception to the rule and it goes right to your head. Wish there was a reset button....

Well he is still talking to me...so I'm going to sweep this under the rug and take heed so I don't ruin what is likely going to a great thing... He is of a rare breed, guys like him are rare to come across and hard to not get too infatuated...but lesson learned... We're supposed to do something this weekend and I will clarify this misunderstanding in person...well as far as the kissing thing goes... But I think slowing the tempo down is a good thing...

It sounds like you nearly worship this guy, thats bad, much like a leery animal if you run for it it will run from you. If you take your time dont rush him and offer a proverbial peanut you may find him right in your hand. Of course he may be squirrely as hell and no way to tame him ... mustang? im trying to stay with one thought process everyone can relate to (animals) and I dont think its working! anyway hope I helped.

In short, stop devaluing yourself, stop sounding desperate like (if this doesn't work I may be asexual), and if you push him faster than he is comfortable with expect a bad ending.
And some guys may like being worshiped and possy of fans, red carpets with rose petals some dont like soo much attention and are more quiet.

All that being said, if it doesn't work out with him, im in a relationship but I accept being a supreme being who deserves many followers. *if you find this in the future Michael know I was only kidding!!*
but not about the supreme being part... WORSHIP MEE!