Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to protect yourself from any STI’s when dating/hooking up
Hey gays, It’s me again! Im just asking how to protect yourself from sexually transmitted diseases or safe practices in general. Been reading about it for quite awhile now but I’ll appreciate more insight as I’m a beginner with zero experience when it comes to dating or hooking up.

Precautions:

1) Get tested every 3 months if you are regularly sexually active.

2) Get your HEPATITIS and HPV vaccines.

3) Use condoms if you wish.

4) Take Prep if you are having anal sex. But remember Prep only protects against HIV and nothing else.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that Prep protects against other STIs. It does NOT.

5) Remember that you are never completely free from the risk of catching an STI.

You can take all the precautions and still catch one.

STIs (except HIV) are just infections. You've had infections before right? Our bodies are fighting them all the time and 99% of the time we don't know it. Cold. Flu. Stomach viruses. Etc. Infections.

There is NO shame about catching an STI.

All STIs (except HIV) require a course of antibiotics.

6) There is very little risk in catching HIV through oral sex but it is NOT 0 risk. Your partner has to have a detectable viral load and you have to have bleeding gums/cuts/sores in your mouth in order to catch HIV through oral sex.

7) Remember, the key here is EDUCATION.

STIs are not "gay diseases" nor "shameful diseases".
Gay people are NOT the danger.
Promiscuous people are NOT the danger.
UNEDUCATED people ARE the danger.

Know the risks, and you can know the precautions to take.
Know your health.

If you don't get tested, then you don't know your health, then you are uneducated. THEN you are the risk.

8) If you catch an STI, abstain from sex for 2 weeks or until you finish your treatment.

9) If you catch an STI, tell the partners you've had. Be open, so they can get tested.

10) Remember your sexual health is their sexual health, and their sexual health is your sexual health. If we are sharing our bodies and our sex, we should be willing to share our sexual health test results.

Never shame someone for asking. And never feel shame. Because that just perpetuates the stigma which leads to more STIs and greater risk of health.

Lack of communication = lack of education = greater risk.

11) There is one thing you can do to completely avoid catching an STI - NEVER have sex. You can do that if you want.

12) HIV treatment has significantly improved to the point that many people living with it can suppress the virus in their system WITH MEDICATION so that it SEEMS like it doesn't exist so they can live good lives.

13) Always finish your course of medication.

14) Think you have been exposed to HIV and were not taking Prep/using condoms? Go to your doctor or hospital and ask about Pep - Post-exposure medication.

(02-24-2024, 04:17 PM)MScruff Bunch Wrote: Precautions:

4) Take Prep if you are having anal sex. But remember Prep only protects against HIV and nothing else.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that Prep protects against other STIs. It does NOT.

5) Remember that you are never completely free from the risk of catching an STI.

STIs (except HIV) are just infections. You've had infections before right? Our bodies are fighting them all the time and 99% of the time we don't know it. Cold. Flu. Stomach viruses. Etc. Infections.

6) There is very little risk in catching HIV through oral sex but it is NOT 0 risk. Your partner has to have a detectable viral load and you have to have bleeding gums/cuts/sores in your mouth in order to catch HIV through oral sex.

Know your health.

If you don't get tested, then you don't know your health, then you are uneducated. THEN you are the risk.

8) If you catch an STI, abstain from sex for 2 weeks or until you finish your treatment.

9) If you catch an STI, tell the partners you've had. Be open, so they can get tested.

10) Remember your sexual health is their sexual health, and their sexual health is your sexual health. If we are sharing our bodies and our sex, we should be willing to share our sexual health test results.

Never shame someone for asking. And never feel shame. Because that just perpetuates the stigma which leads to more STIs and greater risk of health.

11) There is one thing you can do to completely avoid catching an STI - NEVER have sex. You can do that if you want.

12) HIV treatment has significantly improved to the point that many people living with it can suppress the virus in their system WITH MEDICATION so that it SEEMS like it doesn't exist so they can live good lives.

14) Think you have been exposed to HIV and were not taking Prep/using condoms? Go to your doctor or hospital and ask about Pep - Post-exposure medication.
Woah! This is really detailed and educational. Though isnt it offensive if I ask if we both should get tested first before we proceed? Im confident that I’m clean as I’m not sexually active since for years now.

(02-24-2024, 09:06 PM)Clay Madea Wrote: Woah! This is really detailed and educational. Though isnt it offensive if I ask if we both should get tested first before we proceed? Im confident that I’m clean as I’m not sexually active since for years now.

Well you CAN ask them to but that is not always practical.
It can take ages to find a guy who is ACTUALLY genuinely going to meet, and then you are going to ask them to wait a few more weeks for test results to return? Most guys won't do it. They will move on and find someone who is willing to meet sooner.

Guys who ARE getting tested will (or should) have their recent test results available to show you and should be willing to.

It also depends on WHAT you are looking for.
Hookups? Guys probably won't do it. Are you going to ask this of every guy you plan to have sex with?
Dating? Someone you've been dating for a while is more likely to be willing to test on the grounds that YOU test too.

Also, the term "clean" is a no-no. It implies there is something dirty (in a bad way) about someone who does have an infection.

Also, you are making one big mistake - never just assume you are negative. Why should someone else test for you but just accept that you say you are "clean"? You should be willing to test. YOU being "confident" that you are negative means nothing. You need to be able to provide proof to that other person. If they are sexually active, chances are they are getting tested and can provide proof.

If you have no proof, then YOU are the mystery. Both partners have a duty/responsibility of care and honest communication.

(02-24-2024, 09:29 PM)Scruff Bunch Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 09:06 PM)Clay Madea Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 04:17 PM)MScruff Bunch Wrote: Precautions:

Know your health.

Woah! This is really detailed and educational. Though isnt it offensive if I ask if we both should get tested first before we proceed? Im confident that I’m clean as I’m not sexually active since for years now.

Well you CAN ask them to but that is not always practical.
It can take ages to find a guy who is ACTUALLY genuinely going to meet, and then you are going to ask them to wait a few more weeks for test results to return? Most guys won't do it. They will move on and find someone who is willing to meet sooner.

Guys who ARE getting tested will (or should) have their recent test results available to show you and should be willing to.

It also depends on WHAT you are looking for.
Hookups? Guys probably won't do it.
Dating? Someone you've been dating for a while is more likely to be willing to test on the grounds that YOU test too.

Also, the term "clean" is a no-no. It implies there is something dirty (in a bad way) about someone who does have an infection.

Also, you are making one big mistake - never just assume you are negative. Why should someone else test for you but just accept that you say you are "clean"? You should be willing to test.

I agree on the term clean. That’s why I don’t really like to use them as it can be very offensive to someone. Choice of words is definitely olay a huge part of this. Ofcourse, it is unreasonable to ask someone to get check and me saying Im clean is enough. For me if they did such effort I should have to. Btw, I’m more so looking for a date not really a hookup, though in-case the hoe in me tries to take over lol

(02-24-2024, 09:36 PM)Clay Madea Wrote: I agree on the term clean. That’s why I don’t really like to use them as it can be very offensive to someone. Choice of words is definitely olay a huge part of this. Ofcourse, it is unreasonable to ask someone to get check and me saying Im clean is enough. For me if they did such effort I should have to. Btw, I’m more so looking for a date not really a hookup, though in-case the hoe in me tries to take over lol

You MAY find someone who is willing to test for you once they have already dated you for a while and they want to move things forward. But as a gesture of goodwill to others, and as a care thing for yourself, get tested now. It will feel good to be "on top of" your sexual health. It is what responsible adults do. The sooner you get it "into your system" the sooner it will just be a normal part of your sexual practices.

(02-24-2024, 09:40 PM)Scruff Bunch Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 09:36 PM)Clay Madea Wrote: I agree on the term clean. That’s why I don’t really like to use them as it can be very offensive to someone. Choice of words is definitely olay a huge part of this. Ofcourse, it is unreasonable to ask someone to get check and me saying Im clean is enough. For me if they did such effort I should have to. Btw, I’m more so looking for a date not really a hookup, though in-case the hoe in me tries to take over lol

You MAY find someone who is willing to test for you once they have already dated you for a while and they want to move things forward. But as a gesture of goodwill to others, and as a care thing for yourself, get tested now. It will feel good to  be "on top of" your sexual health. It is what responsible adults do. The sooner you get it "into your system" the sooner it will just be a normal part of your sexual practices.
Oh I certainly will. Im currently looking for clinics nearby. I know most clinic provide free consultations. It’s just time for me to invest more on educating myself regarding this. Like you’ve said I should have be concerned not only with my sexual health but also others. I really do appreciate your kind gesture educating me <3

(02-24-2024, 09:45 PM)Clay Madea Wrote: Oh I certainly will. Im currently looking for clinics nearby. I know most clinic provide free consultations. It’s just time for me to invest more on educating myself regarding this. Like you’ve said I should have be concerned not only with my sexual health but also others. I really do appreciate your kind gesture educating me <3

You are very welcome. You are a cute guy but being cute is not enough. Many attractive guys still struggle to find someone to meet, and you would be making it harder on yourself to ask someone to test before you meet them. But it depends on who they are and what the circumstances are.

And there is no need to be scared. You are just checking up on your sexual health. I don't know what it is like in the Phillipines, but here in the UK, the sexual health nurses are wonderful. Very open, warm, respectful, and discreet.

Whether it is physical health, sexual health, or mental health... you are just looking after yourself.

(02-24-2024, 09:50 PM)Hi Scruff Bunch Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 09:45 PM)Clay Madea Wrote: Oh I certainly will. Im currently looking for clinics nearby. I know most clinic provide free consultations. It’s just time for me to invest more on educating myself regarding this. Like you’ve said I should have be concerned not only with my sexual health but also others. I really do appreciate your kind gesture educating me <3

You are very welcome. You are a cute guy but being cute is not enough. Many attractive guys still struggle to find someone to meet, and you would be making it harder on yourself to ask someone to test before you meet them. But it depends on who they are and what the circumstances are.

And there is no need to be scared. You are just checking up on your sexual health. I don't know what it is like in the Phillipines, but here in the UK, the sexual health nurses are wonderful. Very open, warm, respectful, and discreet.

Whether it is physical health, sexual health, or mental health... you are just looking after yourself.

Thanks for the compliment <3 Looks are not everything and being educated in serious matter like this is. Though, I’ve been checking some information I find a hospital in nearby city offering free consultations. Although I don’t know what to expect yet from the nurses but I dont really care if they gonna be judgmental regarding that but I don’t really care. They’re not the one who’s going to take the penis, I am and this me knowing what to do and how to protect myself and my potential partner makes me empowered.

It absolutely SHOULD make you feel empowered. That is exactly how it should be. I am pleased.

And they (hopefully) will NOT be judgemental. They are there because that is their job.