Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I made the poor guy scared
Today I did something I probably shouldn't have done. I go to this coffeehouse every morning before job and there is this one really cute barista. He's really handsome and I have a hard time keeping my eyes off him. So today I guess he realized I'm staring at him from time to time, probably making him uncomfortable as hell and he came to my table to ask like "is everything ok, sir, is something wrong with your coffee?" And I answered " everything's fine, you're just too handsome" He blushed and backed away as fast as he could. I was sitting there, thinking like, oh God, I guess I scared the crap out of him. Tomorrow's morning is going to be interesting, I think.

"I'm sorry I upset you yesterday. Please accept my apologies." is what you need to say.

You might consider sitting somewhere without a direct view of the man.
I bid NO Trump!

My guess would be....he's straight.

Yeah apologizing would probably be a good idea... unfortunately I'm too dang shy to get into those situations, but I try not to eyeball people too much....unless they start taking off clothes, then it becomes hard not to.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

The last time I couldn't stop staring at a handsome man, he was a cop. And I guess I was creepy enough that he followed me off the train to search my bag.

Apologising for saying another man is handsome is the same as apologising for being gay.

As far as I am concerned you have nothing to feel bad about an nothing to apologise for.

Women can complement each other on their appearances, but men can't?

Just go and get your coffee as normal and don't make a fuss, if you barrista backed away due to his own homophobic reasons, then he is the one with the problem. If it was the fact that he was taken aback and slightly embarrassed with the the attention, then all will be good. It will be just another day.

deephiance Wrote:Apologising for saying another man is handsome is the same as apologising for being gay.

As far as I am concerned you have nothing to feel bad about an nothing to apologise for.

Women can complement each other on their appearances, but men can't?

Just go and get your coffee as normal and don't make a fuss, if you barrista backed away due to his own homophobic reasons, then he is the one with the problem. If it was the fact that he was taken aback and slightly embarrassed with the the attention, then all will be good. It will be just another day.

That is a good point... Masculinity is very fragile too. That's why straight guys can't compliment on each other's appearances (or so society makes it seem) without it being "gay"
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Agreed with Deephiance, I wouldn't say anything, it wasn't a big deal. No reason to apologise to be honest, you've done nothing wrong. I really would stop staring at him so much though, because THAT may start getting creepy.

My guess is it wasn't so much the compliment as it was the staring or maybe the two together, but not just the flattery. It's not like you asked to see his wiener or anything. Smile. Although, I'm sure that is just as beautiful as the rest of him.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that an apology is in order because the barrista may have assumed that the patron is gay, or that the patron is apologizing for being gay. I am saying that an apology is due because the comment upset the barista, that is, made him uncomfortable. It is never acceptable to make others uncomfortable, even unintentionally.
I bid NO Trump!

Oh please you definitely embarrassed the hell out of him. But I highly doubt that you offended him. In fact i'd bet it put a goofy smile on his face later on when he sat at home thinking about it.

Just politely apologise for embarrassing him if he happens to serve you tomorrow. I'm sure you'll become his favourite customer.