Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father taking it bad...
So I came out about 2 weeks ago.
Ever since then, my dad has been avoiding me, making nasty comments towards me and keeps going on about religion.
I honestly don't know what to do at this point, I have no job...Still searching so I can't exactly leave the house quite yet.

My mother is accepting it.. But she doesn't want to only see me as gay, she rather see me as a person, which I am guessing is good...Being gay doesn't define my whole character and nor should it mean it has to.

Anyways, my dad just is not accepting it, at every turn we talk he wants to know my beliefs about god..Then when I tell him he gets mad.
My beliefs are quite simple.. Those with pure of heart that do not mean ill-intentions or go off murdering people deserve to live their life happily, regardless of how it may be...God does not hate homosexuals.

He doesn't want to listen, and I am going to be honest...It kinda hurts me that he thinks I will be burning in hell and what not.
He already said if I ever found a man that made me happy he doesn't wanna see him.

If anyone has any advice on what would be a good course of action for me to talk, please please tell me!

I am at a lost for words now every time this happens.

maybe those is one of those times where time is the great healer, just carry on as u are trying to speak to him but be prepared for him never to accept it also - end of the day you will never please everyone even though it is your own father - live your life as happy as u can and just hope he comes around even just a little

Give him time. My dad didnt speak to me for long long time when I come out.Then one evening he called me and asked me and my partner to come visit and he has been good for both of us from since then.

I am really hoping he will come around.
I can't say we ever had a "close" relationship, he would always bully me when I was a kid growing up.
But now, even if he can't accept me for being gay, he doesn't have to continue telling me about how I will be burning in hell.
*shrugs*

Oh well, all I can do now is just wait and see how it plays out.

There is only 3 things that will help your father

Time Time Time

Buring Wrote:... I can't say we ever had a "close" relationship, he would always bully me when I was a kid growing up ... burning in hell ...

you have been dealing with your sexual preference thing your whole live. the rents need time to get up to speed, if at all.

burning in hell is usually a bad thing.
Try to grow your self a supportive extended family. Tell us you are headed for the local LGBT center, call or email them. there might be services at the university (i lived tn the old pueblo) so look them up to. Take heart Tucson is not an island and Phoenix is about an hour north.

your extended family; dont lower your standards

your a brave person for coming out. You might suck up to the religion thingy by joining a gay affirming church. I wouldnt but you might consider this, at least find one with cute activities, find a hag girl friend to hang out with.

Give him time sweetie.
You must understand ,he has been brainwashed in believing this gloom and doom bovine scat.

Right now he is scared , he is trying to disconnect and is clutching at straws in hope that something might change your mind.
He still believes that being gay is a choice , that is why he keeps trying to reel you back into religion.
He has been brainwashed and conditioned, it's going to take him a while to wrap his around it.

Let it be , give it time , try to ignore the outbursts, and please do not become confrontational .

Remember sweetie Jesus died for all our sins ,at no time did he say with exception to the gay community , prostitutes ,drug addicts , homeless .......you get the idea.

We are all here for you.
Bighug

I'm in the same boat ... my dad wanted to know everything about my sexual orientation, but hasn't mentioned it at all since. It's like I never told my parents. I'm not sure which I would rather, this awkward silence or your situation. But it will get better. Promise!

Sod it, I'm adding you as a friend on here. Assuming I can find out how to!

I agree with Rainbowmum, and maybe others here whose answers I have not read yet. (Will do so shortly, but first I'm going to go with my heart from just reading what YOU had to say). Of course your father will have to get used to it, therefore he'll need time. But it also seems that somehow he's not been seeing who you were as you were growing up, (and not been sufficiently concerned, from what I understand).

You mention all the negative and hurtful comments and the bullying to which you've been subjected as you were growing up, and you also mention that having a conversation with him ends up being a monologue by him, in which, it sounds, he's trying to batter home truths into you. But it's not effective.

My impression is that your father is not ready to hear the words you've told him. He's feeling vulnerable, I guess, and unprepared and he's saying all the wrong things. While I can understand his reaction, I can't help but feel that he's not reacting like an adult and certainly not like a father. It looks like he's still got quite a lot of spiritual and emotional growth to achieve. It is not surprising, therefore, that he should try to ram his theories down your throat. He CAN'T understand you, nor accept you till he lets go. You are not him, he is not you and although he gave you life he does not own you. That is something that every parent needs to understand one day. Which is why I'm talking about being a grown up. It means accepting that one day your children will be their own person and not need you so much for everything, especially not to live their lives, even more so when they are not dependent (physically, mentally or morally, or even financially).

This doesn't mean that ties have to be severed for ever, of course not. It just means that they accept you for who you are and (hopefully) will go on loving you sufficiently unconditionally to keep the generations soldered and united even though each one has its understanding of the world and its specifications.

To start off, now the cat is out of the bag, you are going to need perseverance and patience. You are going to have to be the more adult of the two, until he grows up and develops too on this issue. Maybe, if your mother has shown acceptance, it would be best to enroll her help and to let her do some of the gap-bridging here.

You could maybe meet your father half way and ask that he do the same, re boyfriends etc. You might accept not to bring your boyfriend home, as that will make him uncomfortable, but then you can 'impose' your boyfriend's presence when you're on your own turf (I mean when you start living your life away from home), and if you are to meet in other circumstances like, say, a restaurant, or someone else's home where the two of you have been invited (and your boyfriend too, of course).

I think that despite what your father thinks he knows about being gay (it's wrong, it sinful, it's condemnable etc.) he still has a lot to learn about human sexuality and psychology. His mind is probably going into all the wrong places right now and, I'm afraid to say, he probably thinks it is a reflection on him of how he's brought you up and how he's provided for you. He needs to understand that although he's responsible for half of your genes, he's in no way responsible of the way your sexual orientation turned out. Maybe he's blaming himself and thinking he's done a poor job of raising you (and maybe 'protecting' you - he's not going to understand that this is not something that you needed to be protected from but rather that it needed to be nurtured).

I'm thinking that when you get a chance to tell him, you should put his mind at ease on the subject. It has nothing to do (or, at least, little to do) with how he's raised you, or failed to raise you. But I suspect that he's been compensating a lot over the years, when maybe he perceived that you were going to turn out gay. Maybe he's been trying to make you interested in sports, has been rough with you because he's thought that that's how you bring up boys ... all the usual trappings of this heteronormative society. Had he a bit more understanding of what it meant to be gay, he would have encouraged other things in you: your creativity, your sensitivity etc and taken great pride in what you are capable of. For the moment he's just seeing his own failing and he's not taking pride in himself, nor in you.

Taking pride. In that light, are you capable of listing all your good points and qualities, all the points that you think come from your upbringing, may they have come from your mother or from him, or just from your environment, and remind him that that's who you are?

You may find that questions and statements might be easier to put across in a letter. Something that he can read calmly, or refer back to. Conversely, so as to show that you're not bragging, you can list some of your shortcomings and what you would call failures, but also show where lack of support may have caused these. Like the lying (or the failure to come out etc.). Saying to your dad, "I was afraid you would not understand me, and now I have proof that you don't. That's why I didn't say anything. I was not sure, I was confused. Now, I'm not anymore", should make him think. It should also show some of your resolve (proof that you are exercising your own critical mind, that you've weighed the pros and cons of coming out and being true to yourself).

His reaction, so far makes me think of a temper tantrum in a spoilt child and since discussion seems impossible, I would put an end to it (unnecessary arguments) until there comes a time when he's capable of talking to you as an adult to an adult (ie someone who can make their own decisions and take responsibility for them). I know this is a scary stance to take, but for the moment you can probably just avoid the fights and discussions. Tell him that you'll resume talking about the subject when he starts having a more grown up attitude and starts listening to you. (This is, by the way, something that I believe your mother could help him with, when you're not around -- she might direct him towards some reading and some learning about what being gay means). Until there comes such a time... no talking, no arguing, just polite (but distant and cautious) attitudes. No name calling. Refrain from that, and if he starts on you, turn your back and walk away.

You may want to question him on whether he is genuinely afraid for your spiritual safety / and genuinely interested in your feelings or if he's just afraid of what people will think of him and just wanting to save face. Is this all about himself?

Remind him that he's not the only one to have feelings and that if his tactics is to hurt your feelings, he's been very successful at that. You'll have to admit that you have taken a long time thinking things through and wondered how he'd react. Maybe even express disappointment in how he's reacting and how his reaction does NOT reflect his so-called religious beliefs (God loves everybody? God tells us to respect our parents, yes, but Jesus also told adults to respect their children - logical if you want respect from them). It always seems worse then fathers reject their sons. Remind him of the prodigal son's parable, it's a good one.

Well, after all this, let me give you a big hug, something that your dad should have done and given you straight away, silly fool that he is.
Bighug Bighug Bighug

Let us know how it goes. Ok?
PA